Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My springs have sprung
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
muddboy
Ok... first I need to say that I am really cheap!

So today when I called the DMV and found out that my new tags where only going to be $33, I had smile stuck on my face. My poor car has sat for the last year and a half (semi-planed). But now its up and running with a new alternator (the book didn't say anything about needing strong language and blood). However when I put the new tires on it and lowered it to the ground, the back end is sitting really low and the tires are tucked way up into the wheel wells. I have check all of the pickup points for the rear trailing arms, and they look fine. My guess is that the stock springs have lost there oomph.

So the questions are:

Does that seem like it could be it, or is there something more I need to look at?

What springs should/could I get?

Whats involved in the undertaking of changing the springs?

I work at a large HiPerf autoshop (as a machinist, building engines) and have access to the tools and some help from the mechanics. But no one there really wants to touch a "Fuerin car".

Any help would be appreciated
Robert21
rolleyes.gif have a set of stock springs , you can have them,

just pay postage , live in cypress ca 90630
McMark
Spring are probably shot. Save up for the Eibach H&R springs with adjustable perches if you want the hot setup. Swapping them is really really really really easy. Raise the car, take off the rear wheel, undo the nut in the rear trunk, carefully lower the trailing arm, take off the spring, put the new one on, place the shock back in place, tighten the nut, replace the rear wheel, lower the car. Repeat on side 2. 1 hour for both sides if things are difficult. 20-30 min if everything goes smooth. No problem.

If you have a rear sway bar that's hooked up, raise both sides of the car at once to get enough room to lower the suspension. You might also have to do both sides at the same time to avoid unhooking the rear bar.

No rear bar, no problem.
SpecialK
Kind of depends on what your plans are for the car's future (race, street, street/autoX...). Changing springs is not a big deal, a couple of wrenchs and a set of spring compressor tools and you're there. Keep in mind that if you stray too far from "stock", you'll end up wanting to change front torsion bars, adding sway bars (if not already equipped), rebuilding the engine, stripping the car down to bare metal and......... headbang.gif (ATDT: Am there, doing that!)

p.s. - got a free pair of used (but level) stock springs you can have also, but shipping might be a bit from out here.
muddboy
thanks guys.... I do have access to a lift so this sounds really easy. And yes I did the engine about 8 years ago... and my plans for the future of the car keep changing, so I never really start on it

Also, oracio21, cypress is very close to where I work??? wouldnt mind picking them up if thats alright?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.