Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear wheel bearing question...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hine62
Should I assume that the rear wheel bearing needs to be replaced if the wheel wobbles without the axle installed?

hine62
76-914
QUOTE(Hine62 @ Apr 28 2013, 07:23 AM) *

Should I assume that the rear wheel bearing needs to be replaced if the wheel wobbles without the axle installed?

hine62

That or the bearing is not fully compressed e.g partially separated
Hine62
Would the axle tighten the bearing together? I watched a YouTube video of the bearing replacement and it looked like there wouldn't be any play between the bearing and hub. They are pressed together.
Cap'n Krusty

hine62

No. The stub axle holds the bearing together. If you've rolled the car around with the wheel on the ground but without the stub axle or some substitute installed, you probably need to replace the bearing.

The Cap'n
Hine62
There was a noise coming from the passenger rear before the repairs started, so they needed to be repaired anyway.

Thanks guys,
hine62
Drums66
......Both extremes,are not good(too loose or tight) idea.gif
bye1.gif flag.gif flag.gif
popcorn[1].gif
cobra94563

hine62

I had an experience with an aftermarket brand bearing. It is brand new, pressed into the trailing arm fine. When I started to press in the hub, halfway in, as the hub was through the outer race, the hub could wobble. I wasn't sure if that broke the integrity of the bearing, but I pressed it through and running with it now.

I've only put on couple hundred miles. Never had that experience with other bearings.
I tightened up the axles and waiting to see how it works out. confused24.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.