Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to adjust 1.7 TPS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
I read this but I have a digital meter instead of analog, anyone can shed some light when they say zero the ohm meter on step 4, what should a digital meter say ?

http://members.rennlist.com/mikecool/tb1718.gif

Thanks all.
JeffBowlsby
You are just checking for continuity as the circuit opens/closes. Use the audio signal setting to verify the point where continuity occurs.
somd914
Depending on your meter select a low resistance (ohm) scale. My meter's lowest scale is 0-20 ohms. If you have an auto ranging meter you just need to select ohms. Now touch the ends of your probes together (don't pinch them together with your fingers just touch the probes together). Observe what you meter is reading which will probably not be 0 but perhaps in the 0.1-0.3 ohms range or if auto ranging this might read as 100-300 milli-ohms. This value is the internal resistance of your meter, i.e. the closest to zero the meter will read. This is about what you should see when setting the throttle switch, so it will be close to zero but not zero.

More expensive digital meters may have a way to zero them, but neither of my two inexpensive digital units do. Zeroing the old analog requires touching the probes together then using an adjustment knob on the meter to set the needle to be on zero.

Hope this helps.

913B
Also the diagram shows 5 pins, mines only have 4 so which ones am I supposed to be checking ? Which picture do I have it right, its a 71 D-ject by the way

Picture 1 or
Click to view attachment

Picture 2
Click to view attachment
913B
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 28 2013, 04:56 PM) *

You are just checking for continuity as the circuit opens/closes. Use the audio signal setting to verify the point where continuity occurs.

with the wires hooked up like picture 1, the meter is showing OL is that right with the throttle closed and then it fluctuates in M-ohms when it is open ?
somd914
My D-Jet harness connector has 5 sockets but only 4 are wired. The TPS should have five terminals (pins) also. The empty harness socket should be to the pin next to 17 Idle. The pins should be labled on the TPS but likely difficult to see without an inspection mirror. Anyway, the diagram for the TPS should be correct. Does this make sense?
somd914
QUOTE(somd914 @ Apr 28 2013, 09:29 PM) *

My D-Jet harness connector has 5 sockets but only 4 are wired. The TPS should have five terminals (pins) also. The empty harness socket should be to the pin next to 17 Idle. The pins should be labled on the TPS but likely difficult to see without an inspection mirror. Anyway, the diagram for the TPS should be correct. Does this make sense?

OK, time to revise as your pictures did not come through until after I posted my above response.

So it does appear that your TPS has four terminals. I'm running carbs on my 2056 and took a look again at my spare 2.0 engine which no longer has the throttle body but the D-Jet harness is still there with a 5 pin connector labled "Throttle". I went back through my old photos from swapping engines and found this - my setup was different from yours...

I think it is time for someone else to chime in.

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
These two.
913B
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 28 2013, 04:56 PM) *

boy did I get that wrong, so when I hooked them like the picture, I have continuity beep with throttle closed and OL off idle, is that what I am looking for ? Is that good ?
JeffBowlsby
At idle, the TPS switch should have continuity...its a simple switch that tells the ECU the engine is at idle, because there is an idle circuit in the ECU. When the throttle takes the engine off idle, the ECU is informed via this switch, and the ECU goes into a different mode.

Not sure what OL means?
913B
Sorry OL is what the meter shows. Out of limits/no continuity. Thanks for the help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.