Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No electrical power
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
My '75 has started perfectly for many years; today that record ended. I had been checking my remote start button that mounts in the engine compartment. Started the car a couple of times. I then got in the car to move into the garage, turn the ignition key to acces position and NO dash lights, no accessories or lights would work. Turning the switch to the start position was useless.

The battery is good; I have power to the hot side of the fuse panel; the relays on the fuse panel are good.All the fuses are good as well

An I correct that the ignition switch is fried ?
struckn
Magic 8 Ball says "Good possiblity". So for around $14 and 45 minutes to remove and replace, do it! The Tech Artical with pictures and step by step instructions that Pelican has was what I used on my '74 and it's really not a hard thing to do. My switch actually was cracked.

You have an Accessory Position on yours? Mine is only a 3 position, OFF-ON-Start.

idea.gif

Doug N.
jim_hoyland
Mine is off - on- start too. When turned to the on position none of the accessories work,except the emergency flasher, dash lights don't even come on! Not even the oil or generator light...
Mike Bellis
The power wire to the ignition is one of 2 wires that go from the battery to the front. One goes directly to the fuse panel and the other goes directly to the ignition switch.

wiggle the 4 red wires on the positive terminal of the battery. It is possible that one has come loose (the one to the ignition switch). Give them a good tug.
Bob L.
If you have to take it apart, check the prong that engages the switch. They tend to twist backwards from the torque, causing a "no start" situation. It's probably not your problem now but You may want to deal with it while you're there.
Dave_Darling
One word of warning: The 75-76 ignition switch removal is different from the 72-74 that's described in the Pelican tech article. I don't know how to remove the late style, though.

--DD
r_towle
I don't buy the ignition switch diagnosis.

You were using a remote start switch and things work.

First, check the little red wires on the positive terminal at the battery.
Remove them, clean them, then re install them nice and spring tight....

Mine needed that every year, no idea why, but it gets cleaned now.

Rich
jim_hoyland
Thanks ! I checked the red wire that goes directly to the ignition switch and found the connection faulty. Fixed it in about two minutes; dash lights came on; and started right up.

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.