Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: timing change
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
If you install a different dizzy, or new cam would this effect timing? Could the timing be off the factory specs or will it stay the same.
d7n7master
If I understand the question... The moment you loosen the dizzy's collar to remove the dizzy, your timing is no longer set. I always mark the dizzy's position prior to removal. That will help to get you in the ballpark when you re-install but you still need to re-set the timing. biggrin.gif
Red-Beard
Advance will be _slightly_ different on each dist. I set mine close to spec, then tune by ear. I wish I had a knock sensor and a way to adjust on the fly...without cutting a hole in the firewall.
Root_Werks
Why are 914-6 folks cutting holes in firewalls to check timing? rolleyes.gif

I believe your question is: Will I change my timing with different compenents?

Yes and no. It all depends on how you run your car and the overall set up. I usually set timing by full advance. So say 30 degrees at 6k rpms. Does that mean your static or idle timing will be different? Probably if the dizzy is not stock. But set at a full advance, not at an idle.

i also use the "ear" method. Sometimes you can set an engine up nicely, but get it on the road with cheap 87 octane gas and hear it ping. I am cheap so I run 87 in all my cars. Hench the timing is backed off a little. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.