Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat Upgrade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Crazy Nomad
Howdy, I was looking to upgrade my old seats and was looking for an affordable option besides sending it off to get it redone or buying a renegade hybrid seat for $500 bucks or so. Anybody have any good options? bye1.gif
6freak
Konig! good luck
smile.gif
JmuRiz
I have Konig seats, but I'd say look into the GTS seats, they have more room for your lats.
ConeDodger
GTS Nurbergring...
rjames
Do a search. Plenty of threads on this topic.
Steve
Be afraid... Seats are like shoes. I have a 30 inch waist and the konig was too tight. I now have the GTS Lemans seat and I barely fit in it.
Konig and GTS Lemans use the stock brackets. Others typically require adapters
Robert21
Andys Auto Sports . They have a lot of seats . Never bought any from them, just found them oline.
GeorgeRud
If you can find one, the Scheel 114 was a great seat for the 914. It is similar to the others, but was not as confining as some others, but still has excellent side support.

It looks like the Nurburgring seat is a copy of the old Scheel seat.
MoveQik
These are mine and I have done them for another guy(Madswede) as well. I think the factory seats look really sharp and are super comfortable if redone with a built-up side bolster. Sportier look. More comfort. Look & fit perfectly in the car. Just a thought.... smile.gif
Crazy Nomad
I was curious if anybody had installed an NRG - FRP 320 Bucket seat? Came across these on Ebay the other year because they come in a small size (19 inches wide) that looks like it would fit the 914 and the price isn't too bad @ $249 for the fiberglass but the carbon fiber is a little bit pricier priced more like the Renegade Hybrid custom sport seats. Those are $449 each and use the stock 914 seat as a core. Anybody have these?

https://www.getnrg.com/products/seats/carbo...cket-seats/feed

Kaduku
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Apr 30 2013, 04:00 PM) *

These are mine and I have done them for another guy(Madswede) as well. I think the factory seats look really sharp and are super comfortable if redone with a built-up side bolster. Sportier look. More comfort. Look & fit perfectly in the car. Just a thought.... smile.gif

Wow!!!!!! I likey alot aktion035.gif
TravisNeff

Those look great Wills!
Andyrew
QUOTE(Crazy Nomad @ Apr 30 2013, 06:42 PM) *

I was curious if anybody had installed an NRG - FRP 320 Bucket seat? Came across these on Ebay the other year because they come in a small size (19 inches wide) that looks like it would fit the 914 and the price isn't too bad @ $249 for the fiberglass but the carbon fiber is a little bit pricier priced more like the Renegade Hybrid custom sport seats. Those are $449 each and use the stock 914 seat as a core. Anybody have these?

https://www.getnrg.com/products/seats/carbo...cket-seats/feed

I had the ones you posted installed at one point. The way they are designed prevent the seat from going back very far. Im 6'0 and it was a bit uncomfortable. Also you have to modify the ebrake to function as the roll in the seat side is right over the ebrake. I do not recommend them. They are however very comfy, but fit better in a hatchback or 4 door.

I would suggest these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEFT-RIGHT-LIGHTWE...ea2&vxp=mtr
But in black. (Email seller)
Or these, which look like they wont have the issue with cutting off circulation at the legs as the top ones do (Requires cutting the bars that hold that part of the fabric up, see my last link)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Black-Red-Strip...e8a&vxp=mtr

An install and where I originally found these. (Note old thread, I doubt pep boys sells them anymore) Note these are not for large people.. However they are steel frames so the frames can be stretched (I have stretched them myself, im a 38 waist)
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...boys%20%20seats
oldschool
Click to view attachment I like mine..$15 at one of the G&R...
rwilner
I had a konig seat as well. Looks great and the fit is great in the car, but it is tight to sit in. I'm 6'0, 190, with a 33" waist, and I am the upper limit of what I think will fit in this seat comfortably.

Also, getting in and out can be challenging. Something to consider if you're older or your wife has a low tolerance for these things. This is especially true if you have the stock steering wheel. A smaller diameter momo makes ingress and egress easier.

Is this a street car? If I had to do it again, I think the built-up side bolsters on the stockers is the way to go for that application. If it's a race car, your best bet is to go someplace that stocks a bunch and "try them on."
bulitt
QUOTE(rwilner @ May 1 2013, 08:14 AM) *

I had a konig seat as well. Looks great and the fit is great in the car, but it is tight to sit in. I'm 6'0, 190, with a 33" waist, and I am the upper limit of what I think will fit in this seat comfortably.

Also, getting in and out can be challenging. Something to consider if you're older or your wife has a low tolerance for these things. This is especially true if you have the stock steering wheel. A smaller diameter momo makes ingress and egress easier.

Is this a street car? If I had to do it again, I think the built-up side bolsters on the stockers is the way to go for that application. If it's a race car, your best bet is to go someplace that stocks a bunch and "try them on."

agree.gif I lost my $$$ on a pair of corbeau seats which fit perfectly in the car but didn't fit me at all. I'm hauling my stockers to a local upholstery shop and have them done over.
billh1963
These (Cobra Classic RS) were mounted in my green car. I think I may put them in another car here soon...

They are comfortable and look good.

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
Another thing to consider is what your use for the car will be. I don't know what the rules are for autocross, but PCA does not allow racing seats without (at least) SFI-rated 5 point belts. They also don't allow 5 point belts without seats that are made to be compatible with them, i.e. the holes are there from the factory. Other organizations require that the seats be homologated, like FIA-homologated seats, before you can take the car on the track.
1stworks
IPB Image

6'1"
190 lbs
33 waist

Perfect fit...
andys

Michael,

I like what you have done with a tastefully built up (but not too much) bolster on the stock seat. I'd look to do something similar with my seats. Upholstery quality of work and prices are all over the map, and it's difficult to find a good balance of the two. When you say "I have done them for another guy", do you do upholstery work?

Andys
ventedrib
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Apr 30 2013, 06:00 PM) *

What did U use to build up the bolsters.
6freak
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ May 1 2013, 06:15 AM) *

Another thing to consider is what your use for the car will be. I don't know what the rules are for autocross, but PCA does not allow racing seats without (at least) SFI-rated 5 point belts. They also don't allow 5 point belts without seats that are made to be compatible with them, i.e. the holes are there from the factory. Other organizations require that the seats be homologated, like FIA-homologated seats, before you can take the car on the track.

kinda sorta but not really smile.gif you can have a after market seat and factory DOT belts some things have changed in the last few years so it can be a little confusing smile.gif

what is Homologated seats anyway ???
smile.gif
NORD
Try 425 Motorsports in Washington State. They have a large selection and offer FREE shipping on items over $100. The showroom has the seats so you can sit in them before buying, doesn't help if you live in another area. driving.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(andys @ May 1 2013, 08:47 AM) *

Michael,

I like what you have done with a tastefully built up (but not too much) bolster on the stock seat. I'd look to do something similar with my seats. Upholstery quality of work and prices are all over the map, and it's difficult to find a good balance of the two. When you say "I have done them for another guy", do you do upholstery work?

Andys

Hey Andy,

I am a dealer for a local upholstery shop here in the Valley(my website - www.HappyDaysInteriors.com). The specialize in 100% factory correct vintage Chevy interiors. So naturally, when it came time to find a solution for my seats, I went down to the shop and told the guys what I wanted. They nailed it on the first shot. Everywhere I go I get people asking about them. To answer your next question biggrin.gif , I can do them for $900 a set assuming you provide good cores. Sometimes people are a little surprised that this isn't a much cheaper alternative but keep in mind, these are hand built and stitched up. More importantly IMHO, the fit and look right in the car.

Wills
Zimms
QUOTE(1stworks @ May 1 2013, 10:18 AM) *

IPB Image

6'1"
190 lbs
33 waist

Perfect fit...

I like those. What kind of Sparcos are they?
bulitt
More pictures Boys! This thread could be a keeper! confused24.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

And we also need your physical dimensions (purely voluntary of course), and butt print.
Spread 50 lbs of playground sand in a cardboard box.
Sit in it.
Measure the width of the impression.
Report back.
Under no circumstances attempt to take this measurement off a female with a 50' rule!

lol-2.gif
1stworks
QUOTE(Zimms @ May 1 2013, 12:02 PM) *

IPB Image

6'1"
190 lbs
33 waist

Perfect fit...

Sprint V

IPB Image
1stworks
Just got these to fresh in up a little.

IPB Image
Crazy Nomad
With all the different seat combinations you have shown me, who is still running the stock 914 Seat Bracket? Is there a viable upgrade that adjusts forward and back and tilts? I say this because I sat in an Audi TT and it has a similar seat bracket but newer style versus the 914 from the 70's and seems to offer more seat options.
Zimms
QUOTE(1stworks @ May 1 2013, 06:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Zimms @ May 1 2013, 12:02 PM) *

IPB Image

6'1"
190 lbs
33 waist

Perfect fit...

Sprint V

IPB Image

Thanks! Looking good!
old dog
QUOTE(bulitt @ May 1 2013, 05:30 AM) *

QUOTE(rwilner @ May 1 2013, 08:14 AM) *

agree.gif I lost my $$$ on a pair of corbeau seats which fit perfectly in the car but didn't fit me at all. I'm hauling my stockers to a local upholstery shop and have them done over.

My corbeau are steel frame... took less than 15 minutes to stretch them. I'm 6' 0 , 36' waist .... they fit the car well. Seats are like shoes ( great quote ! )
Scott S
I tried so many different seats in my car. If you are tall (especially in the torso) I would be very careful of any aftermarket company that says thier seats fit into the factory back pad (or even the recess in the actual firewall). Every one I tried was at least 2-3" more forward than the factory seats.

If you are tall in the torso like me, stay away from any seat that has any sort of suspension webbing - they all sit high. There were two that I might have been able to use if I was willing to go to a much smaller steering wheel, but I most likely would not have been able to drive the car with the top on.

Knowing I fit pretty well in the car using the stock seats (and really well with the bottom cushion removed) I went with the Renegade seats with the smaller bolster. I had them do a matching short bottom cushion (it was 1" thick before being compressed) and was fantastically comfortable in the car. I could even wear a helmet. One thing on the Renegade stuff: I had heard stories of very quick entry and exit wear on the bolster seams. To help with this - and because I really wanted the car to look as much like a GT as possible - I had them do the full bolster in black vinyl - all the way around. My seats showed very little wear after 10 years and the seams were absolutely perfect/tight. The only downside was their logo requirement (tacky). In my case they agreed to color on color (black on black) so it was not as bad as it could have been. I think they have dropped this requirement recently.

Obviously, these seats are not rated for any real racing. I think if I was in that world, I would go with Kirkey and a custom mount.

Oh, as an FYI, I am 6'2"+, 31" inseam and was as heavy as 295 when I owned the car. Never had any problems getting in and out, comfort, or bolster support. They were great seats that fit me and the car.

I have recently been speaking with Stefan at GTS Classics regarding seats for the 911. With the amount of options they offer (lowering you in the seat/widening the seats, etc) they would sure be on the top of my list to call. But again, I have no idea how they fit in the firewall recess.

Here are some pics of my renegade seats. The picture on the left has the standard cushion in the drivers seat. The pic on the right has the 1"/short cushion.

Oh, I forgot - I also had them remove the hump on the back side of the headrest. This allowed full rearward travel when using the harness bar.
tracks914
88 Toyota Corolla. Easy to install to original seat rails and oh so comfy for a DD.
TravisNeff
Factory Recaro's hmm wont fit a 914 ninja.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.