Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early 911 Rear Stub Axles and Hubs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
motorvated
Will they bolt right into the outer CV joints? Is the diameter the same as the 4's and will slide right into the trailing arm? Will the early (65-68) rotors match up with the existing 4's calipers? I'd do a search to see if I can find other threads from the past, but every time I try to search using my iPad, I get everything and nothing gets filtered out.

So any quick help answering these question will be appreciated.
Eric_Shea
Will they bolt right into the outer CV joints?

No.

Is the diameter the same as the 4's and will slide right into the trailing arm?

The OD? Of the Hub shaft? Yes. they will slide right into a 914 bearing. Same bearing used on the early 911.

Will the early (65-68) rotors match up with the existing 4's calipers?

No.

I'd do a search to see if I can find other threads from the past, but every time I try to search using my iPad, I get everything and nothing gets filtered out.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105728

-and-

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=91963
Cap'n Krusty
The rear hub design on a SWB 911 uses 2 single row ball bearings, and the hubs themselves are substantially longer than those used in LWB 911s and 914s (the ones utilizing the common single double row ball bearing). The parts DO NOT interchange.

The Cap'n
motorvated
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 30 2013, 06:55 PM) *

The rear hub design on a SWB 911 uses 2 single row ball bearings, and the hubs themselves are substantially longer than those used in LWB 911s and 914s (the ones utilizing the common single double row ball bearing). The parts DO NOT interchange.

The Cap'n

Thank you Eric and Cap'n. The links were excellent. My car came to me with very unsafe 4to5 lug spacers and a great set of Wide Fuchs. I'm planning on tracking and vintage racing it with the 1.8 at first, and probably upgrading to a six after a while. So whatever I do to the suspension to accommodate the five lug setup, I want to be able to handle higher horsepower and torque than the current 1.8 puts out. Don't want to have to re-do it if possible. I am on a budget, so re-drilling hubs and rotors could do it for the time being, but sooner or later I'll have to do things the right way. Right now I 'm thinking of going early 70's 911 Boge struts, hubs, rotors and brakes on the front, and drilling out the hubs on the rear, although I'm a little worried about the rears holding up. The 944 option or the 911 with longer axles option both sound like good possibilities. Consistent with that, I was wondering if I should start collecting some early 911 parts lie hubs and stub axles for the rear and Boge struts for te fronts. Thanks for your input.
motorvated
QUOTE(motorvated @ Apr 30 2013, 09:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 30 2013, 06:55 PM) *

The Cap'n

Thank you Eric and Cap'n. The links were excellent. My car came to me with very unsafe 4to5 lug spacers and a great set of Wide Fuchs. I'm planning on tracking and vintage racing it with the 1.8 at first, and probably upgrading to a six after a while. So whatever I do to the suspension to accommodate the five lug setup, I want to be able to handle higher horsepower and torque than the current 1.8 puts out. Don't want to have to re-do it if possible. I am on a budget, so re-drilling hubs and rotors could do it for the time being, but sooner or later I'll have to do things the right way. Right now I 'm thinking of going early 70's 911 Boge struts, hubs, rotors and brakes on the front, and drilling out the hubs on the rear, although I'm a little worried about the rears holding up. The 944 option or the 911 with longer axles option both sound like good possibilities. Consistent with that, I was wondering if I should start collecting some early 911 parts lie hubs and stub axles for the rear and Boge struts for te fronts. Thanks for your input.

Ok, after reading the older threads, it looks like the 69-74 series 911 stuff will work as long as you use the longer Sway-A-Way axles. It appears that the later 70's 911's have a larger CV joint (110 vs 108) with six bolts rather than the four plus two pin style of the earlier ones. Would it be possible to use a '69-74 transmission output flange and a Sway-A-Way axle fitted with a '68-74 108 CV on the inner and a later 110 CV on the outer end, coupled with the later stub axles hubs and calipers. I'm looking to pull parts off of a '77, and trying to see what, if anything from the rear will fit.

Eric_Shea
Almost. Early cars have the 108mm 4 bolt two pin config. Later cars have a smaller 100mm 6 bolt with a rare 6 bolt tranny flange. I don't like those because that coarse spline flange is so hard to find.

Just look for 108mm stuff all the way vs the smaller 100mm later stuff. The 77 will have all of the smaller stuff and the tranny flange will not be a coarse spline so, it won't fit the 901 tranny.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.