Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystery muffler...what is it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
Hello all,

I've been wondering what this muffler is since I was in high school. Jim at EASY felt certain it's a two-pipe Abarth, but I can't seem to confirm that online. What I do know:

-I've seen two others, one on a car in person in Walnut Creek, CA and the other in a photo online.

-It is a very high-quality piece, pretty hefty, and very solid all these years later. Also sounds great (!).

Does anyone here know what it is? I just pulled it in the midst of my six conversion, and am not comfortable selling it as an Abarth if it is not. I've heard of and now seen a Stoddard "914 sport muffler" via Google Image, but they don't look the same (awfully close). I can't find any photos of two-tip Abarths, only four—and while the pipes look similar, they are not the same.

Anyone remember these from back in the day? I bought it as a used part in 1992~, so I am guessing it is from the 1970s or 1980s.

Thanks!

pete
914Sixer
Could be an Abarth. Looks like some of the old 356 racing mufflers from the 60's.
ericoneal
Looks similar to one I am selling.

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Apr 30 2013, 07:13 PM) *

Sure does.

And yet, many of the details are different...the curvatures of the inlet pipes, the reinforcement straps on this one, etc. Yours looks more like the Abarth units I have been able to find for 911s etc., and for 914s in pictures of old ads.

Thanks!
Drums66
...Lot of muff's, being fabbed these days idea.gif

bye1.gif
flag.gif shades.gif (COOL RIDE)
popcorn[1].gif
Kaduku
If that muffler is for a 1.7 or a 1.8 then I am interested in buying it
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Kaduku @ May 1 2013, 12:56 AM) *

I'll bet that is an ANSA , made in Italy. Sometimes sold as a Marmite, it would have had a yellow and red sticker on it with a checkered flag. That even looks like the original type of crinkle finish paint.
I have a single outlet one with a short megaphone for a six. Great sound but a bit too loud for today. I'll try to post a picture.
Cairo94507
That is for a 4 cylinder car. Your red car is beautiful.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Apr 30 2013, 09:22 PM) *

...Lot of muff's, being fabbed these days idea.gif

bye1.gif
flag.gif shades.gif (COOL RIDE)
popcorn[1].gif

Thought about that, and still wonder a bit, but this very much looks like a (very well) manufactured piece, and the fact I've seen two more exactly like it would seem to confirm that.

Also, it's gotta be at least 1980s, if not 1970s. This is a great looking muffler...looks a lot like a 911/914-6 sport muffler—so it had to raise some eyebrows when new. Are any of the veterans remembering this thing?

pete
horizontally-opposed

Haven't even listed it and have already gotten some interest, but it's for a 2.0—which is why my 1.7 got a set of 2.0 SSIs. biggrin.gif

pete
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 1 2013, 04:14 AM) *

I'll bet that is an ANSA , made in Italy. Sometimes sold as a Marmite, it would have had a yellow and red sticker on it with a checkered flag. That even looks like the original type of crinkle finish paint.
I have a single outlet one with a short megaphone for a six. Great sound but a bit too loud for today. I'll try to post a picture.

This is 914-4 2.0 exhaust, but pretty sure it is not an Ansa.

The paint is my (not great!) flat black over an old muffler can. I would do it every few years to keep the surface rust at bay. Thought about having it Jet Hot coated or something similar, but didn't want to lose the chrome tips, or remove them.

pete
Kaduku
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 1 2013, 08:49 AM) *

Haven't even listed it and have already gotten some interest, but it's for a 2.0—which is why my 1.7 got a set of 2.0 SSIs. biggrin.gif

pete

Lol, I am new to this 914 stuff and was too lazy to look at my set-up. BTW Great looking car!

I am nearby in Walnut Creek.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Kaduku @ May 1 2013, 11:00 AM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 1 2013, 08:49 AM) *

pete

Lol, I am new to this 914 stuff and was too lazy to look at my set-up. BTW Great looking car!

I am nearby in Walnut Creek.

Ha, Walnut Creek is where I saw the only other 914 I've seen in person with this muffler. If I remember right, a 1975-76 914 2.0. Muffler was mint.

pete
reharvey
This one is very similar except for the dual outlets. I have one on my 74 2.0 and it sounds great. They're very heavy duty and well built. Have no idea who made these but mine is at least 30 years old. Ray
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.