Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: -4 engine-bay sound pad in six conversion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
Wondering how tight the clearance will be...anyone running a six conversion with the sound pad? Can it be done?

I like the idea of a slightly more refined car, but...

Thanks!

pete
GeorgeRud
I'm running one in my conversion -6. It's the silver faced material that I got from one of the vendors years ago. Fits perfect and gives a nice finished look to the engine compartment.

As I drive with the top off, I don't know how much quieter the car is as I can always hear the engine's intake and exhaust noise. Ah, but what a fine sound.......
Krieger
Hey Pete. In my 75 i used the sound pad from the interior side of the engine fire wall and trimmed it down to fit. 3m super trip spray adhesive. Heavy pad, but very thin with a perfect fit.
horizontally-opposed
Alright, so two non-stock setups work...anyone with the stock pad making it work.

Suspect the clearance is going to be tight, but would love to know if anyone has done this.

Thanks, beerchug.gif

pete

P.S. Good idea, Andy, and yeah, that pad is crazy heavy for how thin it is.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 1 2013, 02:16 PM) *

Alright, so two non-stock setups work...anyone with the stock pad making it work.

Suspect the clearance is going to be tight, but would love to know if anyone has done this.

Thanks, beerchug.gif

pete

P.S. Good idea, Andy, and yeah, that pad is crazy heavy for how thin it is.

I am running a stock sound pad on my 3.0L-6!
Mark Henry
I've been told it does fit.

My plan is to cut a hole out of the sheet metal for timing and belt replacement. I will use the pad and cut a hole in it to match.
I will then make the backpad so I can quickly remove it and I'll cut a replacement sheet metal panel out of a donor car (oversize) and make that bit a bolt in.

Mike914 is going to help me set this up, he's done it before and it works slick.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 1 2013, 02:43 PM) *

Cool, thanks! How long, and no problems? How tight is it? Any tricks?

Nice looking conversion!! Gotta be a gas with 3.0 liters...

pete
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 1 2013, 02:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 1 2013, 02:43 PM) *

Cool, thanks! How long, and no problems? How tight is it? Any tricks?

Nice looking conversion!! Gotta be a gas with 3.0 liters...

pete

Thanks!

Coming from you, that's a complement!! beerchug.gif

I finished the sound wall in Feb of 2012. It was glued in with 3M Super Adhesive and fits very tight.

So far there are no signs of it pulling away but I used alot of glue!

As for tips, I test fit everything and marked three lines on the top and the wall so I could line everything up the first time. I set the bottom in place with someone holding it out flat. Then sprayed the glue in two coats on the firewall and the pad and let it dry for about 3 minutes. Then tilted it up trying to line things up and started pressing from the bottom middle out and up!

I put some 2x4's to push against the pad over night so it didn't pull away from the weight of the pad!
Eric_Shea
Like putting in a killer stereo and throwing a blanket over the speakers! slap.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 1 2013, 07:17 PM) *

Like putting in a killer stereo and throwing a blanket over the speakers! slap.gif

Alllllright, Frenchie. poke.gif
AE354803
I can't help with the sound pad itself, but I just installed the aftermarket metal looking one from Pelican Parts in my 912.

I used about 35 1/4" neodynium magnets from harbor freight and a roll of 3M VHB (very high bond) tape from McMaster. Holds it on really well and you can remove it any time without all the messy adhesive.
Jeffs9146

Ohhhh trust me, with the exhaust I have, I can only hear the sweet sound of the motor!!!!
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 1 2013, 09:06 PM) *

Alllllright, Frenchie. poke.gif

biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.