Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spybot question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I have my system cleaned up fairly well, but I'm not sure what to do about these last entries. Can someone give me some pointers? I have added Wal-Mart's shopping program onto my Windows Media Player, for your information. I can't get more info out of Spybot Search & Destroy.
scruz914
Sean,

Not sure what your question is. Do you want to keep the WalMart's changes?

-Jeff
seanery
I don't know if that's what that is, but I wanted it to be known. What are those entries is my question. Can I delete them?
jim912928
This is a guess, but since the new media player does alot of "connecting" to the internet for music and such, could be some cookies that track what music you listen to or what "media" sites you go to. My guess is you won't hurt media player but you may loose connections to music/media sites that you go to when using media player
scruz914
QUOTE(seanery @ Nov 24 2004, 09:22 AM)
I don't know if that's what that is, but I wanted it to be known. What are those entries is my question. Can I delete them?

I don't currently use Spybot but do use Spy Sweeper. Most of the time there is a correlation between an install and a spy warning. I forget if the red ! is a warning or critical indicator. Jim is correct in that media player creates connections to the internet and saving the registry settings may overwrite existing settings. Personally I would be skeptical of anything WalMart wants to add to my machine. If you really think that what you added from WalMart is going to give you some value then keep the changes. If you are in doubt, kill them.

-Jeff
JmuRiz
I use spybot, and I think they are just cookies the media player uses. I removed mine and the media player still works fine.
Rough_Rider
You've got regestry entries for the Windows Media Player Exploit.

Its a known hack in medai player where when those users are online your IP address is broadcasted to media players site. Unfortunatly this info is also available for spyware to pick up.

Do let the anti-spware software remove / clean the reg links.
Also upgrade media player past version 7.1
seanery
media player is version 10
davep
When in doubt, delete. I'd agree that it is probably safe to delete. WMP is Micro$oft spyware, and I try to limit the actions of such things as much as I can. Zonealarm alerts me whenever a program wants internet access, and the number of alerts initiated by Microsoft products is alarming. Spybot and AdAware are two essentials for my work machine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.