Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pelican Parts Repro Door Handles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I dropped $250 for left and right repro door handles from Pelican. I opened the 1st one and found indentions where the tabs are welded to the pull plate. Poor quality manufacturing. I opened the 2nd handle to find it scratched down the center of the pull flap. Rather than hassle with the return, I got out the Turtle Wax white chrome polish and a micro polishing towel and started rubbing. In a matter of seconds I saw the copper base showing through. I was really bummed out. I am going to return the 1st one and I will have to look at my $125 mess. Just passing on my experience.
iamchappy
I purchased mine from the local Porsche dealership, they understand when you want something perfect and found the prices were reasonable.
dakotaewing
You might consider picking up the phone and calling Pelican -
They tend to be on top of their game when it comes taking care of their customers.
ThePaintedMan
agree.gif .. unlike some other distributors.
Dinobx
Definitely contact them and explain the quality issues. They are very good about standing behind their products. I've had great experience with them accepting returns when there are issues of quality.
Dino

QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 1 2013, 08:38 PM) *

I dropped $250 for left and right repro door handles from Pelican. I opened the 1st one and found indentions where the tabs are welded to the pull plate. Poor quality manufacturing. I opened the 2nd handle to find it scratched down the center of the pull flap. Rather than hassle with the return, I got out the Turtle Wax white chrome polish and a micro polishing towel and started rubbing. In a matter of seconds I saw the copper base showing through. I was really bummed out. I am going to return the 1st one and I will have to look at my $125 mess. Just passing on my experience.

76-914
Even if, they have a quality control issue and it's a black eye on a good name!
914Sixer
I called Thursday afternoon for a RA and they said they would issue one for one of the handles. I asked about the 2nd one and told them what I did, they said they would check about the 2nd one. This is Saturday afternoon, I am still waiting on a reply and a RA number.
914Sixer
I am happy to report that Pelican stood by the door handles even though I screwed one up. Kudos to them. I was up front with them and explained what happen and that I WAS AT FAULT. RMA came through this afternoon.

Pelican pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

rick 918-S
I'm not surprised. Good for them.
SirAndy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 6 2013, 07:00 PM) *
I am happy to report

Hold that thought ... The replacements will be of the same shitty quality. Which is not PP's fault since they are only reselling that crap product.

dry.gif
bugsy0
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 6 2013, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 6 2013, 07:00 PM) *
I am happy to report

Hold that thought ... The replacements will be of the same shitty quality. Which is not PP's fault since they are only reselling that crap product.

dry.gif

Pelican Parts - excellent. I've never had a problem w/ quality or customer service. But this does raise the point that it would be in Pelican's best interest to contact their distributor/mfr. regarding this quality issue.
blitZ
I wish someone would make some repro handles out of delrin. I'd love some black door handles.
7TPorsh
what do they look like polished out...gold?
URY914
Several years ago I was working with a guy that manufacturing ties in China and he was proposing to start making repro outside handles. He wanted me to get involved. The whole thing fell apart when the quality/cost/size of the market came into play.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(blitZ @ May 7 2013, 07:23 AM) *

I wish someone would make some repro handles out of delrin. I'd love some black door handles.

Contact Mikey914. That is a cool idea that I bet he can do.
blitZ
Mentioned it to him previously. Maybe if we can provide the demand, he can provide the supply.

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 9 2013, 10:07 AM) *

QUOTE(blitZ @ May 7 2013, 07:23 AM) *

Contact Mikey914. That is a cool idea that I bet he can do.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.