Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear sway bar link bushings install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Bellis
I tried a search here but got 47 pages of unrelated threads.

What is the best way to install new sway bar link bushings? Is there a how to?

PP web site has a "how to" install rear sway bar but does not mention how to get the new bushings in place.
Steve
I used silicone grease and the biggest pair of channel locks I could find.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Steve @ May 1 2013, 05:51 PM) *

To install the new bushing into the link? Or to install the link on to the sway bar?

I need to install new bushings on to the link. Channel lock pliers sounds like damage.
r_towle
Lube and a vice
442nd914s
I would boil both the links and bushings in a pot over medium heat on a stove for 20 mins per link at a time.
After, leave 1 bushing in the pot (keeping it warm) while pounding with a rubber hammer into link. Now after a couple of minutes of pounding, you should be ready to repeat the process on the other side if drop link. Remember to invert/flip the drop link to the other side before you pound on it.
The heat from boiling water will soften the bushing into the slightly bigger drop link openning. If you take too long, the ambient air will cool them off and will be harder to work with. That's why its best if you boil one drop link & bushing set at a time.
Hope this help. It did for me
Eric_Shea
Boiling water
Lube
Vise
Cuss
Swear
Done
JimN73
Mike, if it isn't good after 20 minutes of boiling, add some pureed garlic, tomato sauce and spicy italian sausage. Simmer for an additional 2 hours and serve with pene pasta and red wine.
Steve
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 1 2013, 05:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ May 1 2013, 05:51 PM) *

To install the new bushing into the link? Or to install the link on to the sway bar?

I need to install new bushings on to the link. Channel lock pliers sounds like damage.

Yep, that's how I got the drop links onto the ball on the shock
76-914
I just re-assembled mine using a large C -clamp. It might be a different ball game for new.
kwlane
Boiling water, rubber mallet, pliers and just the right touch. First one took 15 minutes, the last one 15 second once I got it down. Wish I could remember exactly what angle I put it to get it to slip on...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.