Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lucas Electrics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
"And the Lord said 'let there be light'...Joseph Lucas replied 'no way, Lord, no way'."
Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness".
Lucas--inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
Lucas--inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF. The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.
The original anti-theft devices--Lucas Electric products.
"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob..."
If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.
Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.
It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.
Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" "He replied, it doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens!"
Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.
Quality Assurance phoned and advised the Engineering guy that they had trouble with his design shorting out. So he made the wires longer.
Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas made the refrigerators, too.
Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone. Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb. Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.
Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."
Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.
Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices.
Aaron Cox
lol2.gif
mike_the_man
I've got to email that to my Lotus buddies. I'm sure they'll love it! When my friend started his resto on his Europa, it had one fuse for the entire car! The head lights were not fused at all! A little scary. huh.gif
jim912928
lmao.....I've owned 4 Triumphs (yes, even the infamous TR7). They were all good daytime cars! The funiest "mechanics" tip to get me to the dealership when my TR7 died on/off/on/'off in the winter time.....he said pack the distributer with snow and it will probably start enought to get it in!

p.s. my TR6, red with red factory hardtop was one sweet ride though!
tdgray
Yea Yea.... all the lucas jokes. Personally I have never had one problem with mine.

I do know others that have though <_<
Joe Bob
England has no skyscrapers....Lucas makes elevators....
Root_Werks
chairfall.gif
aircooledboy
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I buddy offered me a Midget a while back, for free. I declined since my multimeter is a piece of crap, and I don't solder very well. w00t.gif
Robert21
Yack.gif Yack.gif had a triumph a TR4 never knew what was
going to happen , lights would go out , and wait 10 mins
and they go back on . fun car , had it up to 110 on fwy
Eric_Shea
"Gentleman should not be motoring about after dark."
SLITS
chairfall.gif chairfall.gif rocking nana.gif rocking nana.gif chairfall.gif chairfall.gif

"When the lights go out in the............................"

My Bugeye, MGB and Triumphs were all a blast..........It was the cloth covered wire and components made by Lucas that usually stranded me (other than blown engine, broke trannys and axles biggrin.gif ).
Eric_Shea
I like the "When it breaks, not IF it breaks" Lucas fuel pump located above (or under depending on how you're looking at it) the rear axle of the Midget. Drop the axle to change the pump... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee smash.gif
fiid
I had a 78/79 spitfire - never had a single electrical problem - and yet - noone yet, in 2 years of searching and attempted diagnosis, been able to help me resolve the turn signal indicator problems on my 914. I know people have had a lot of trouble with Lucas electrics tho.

One Canada Squary, Canary Wharf in London is 50 stories high, which puts it 2 stories shorter than the BofA building in San Francisco. Does that count as a Skyscraper? (Pretty sure it doesn't have lucas elevators.

$20 and a six pack to the first person who can actually resolve the wiring issue with my 914's turn signal indicators (the ones in the rev counter). They both come on at the same time and flash at wierd times (like when you go to brights on the headlights). There is also some wierd flickery on the turn signal relay.
nebreitling
i restored a morris minor in highschool w/out a single problem with the lucas system, but i have heard others with nightmares.
jim912928
Well, out of all my Triumphs my TR6 had absolutley no problems and was a blast. The TR7 was the worst car I've owned...headlights up/down/maybe/one..the other...had electronic ignition problems...fuel tank sender went out - had to drop the rear end, then the tank to get to the sender, dash electronics went.........But, the funniest electrical problem was with my GT6. Now this car was one heck of a pocket-rocket but some times all the lights would go out..so I'd just reach under the dash and grab the bundle of wires known as the wiring harness..give it a couple of good shakes and bingo..LIGHTS! lol
mike_the_man
I've never had any experience with Lucas, but I did have an interesting electrical problem with my Rabbit.

It had rained for about 4 days straight, and my Rabbit was far from water tight. After the 3rd day of rain, I couldn't turn off the windsheild wipers. The switch didn't have any effect on them. Then the dash lights and head lights started to flicker, usually only when turning a corner or stopping. Lots of wierd things were happening.

I finally managed to track down the cause. The fuse and relay board hang upside down under the dash. Aparently the windshield seal was a little leaky, and the water ran straight down onto the fuse box. It also managed to get into all of the relays. When I pulled them out, each relay was full of water. unsure.gif

Fun times.
markb
QUOTE(fiid @ Nov 24 2004, 01:42 PM)

$20 and a six pack to the first person who can actually resolve the wiring issue with my 914's turn signal indicators (the ones in the rev counter). They both come on at the same time and flash at wierd times (like when you go to brights on the headlights). There is also some wierd flickery on the turn signal relay.

Did you check the sender on the brake master cyl? Broken wires there can make the blinker indicators do that. My blinker indicators do the same thing. Haven't found the problem in 5 years of looking. Even the Cap'n gave up on it. Also, make sure every bulb in the car has the correct bulb, and all are working. A single missing bulb can make the strangest things happen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.