Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thermostat cable to flaps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dfelz
What is the best solution to replace the cable from thermostat to the flaps?? and how long is it? Thanks!
'73-914kid
Bike cable works fine as long as there is a swedged bit on one end.. we can measure mine tomorrow night if you'd like
dangrouche
its the derailleur cable; you can get it anywhere, (Orchard Supply Hardware, Target, any bike shop) usually a universal length that you just cut to length. keep it long for easy grip when tightening the lock nut, then cut it.
dfelz
cool thanks guys, ill pick one up on my way home from school tomorrow.
AE354803
I used braided cable from Home Depot (1/16 or 3/32") something like that, they sell it by the foot. The ferrules are right next to it in the aisle.

They have the single and double ferrules, IIRC I had to sand down the single ferrule or cut half (one of the openings) of the double ferrule off so that it would fit in the end of the thermostat.

Total was less than $5 and maybe an hour time (lazy Saturday)

For length I just installed the cable when everything was cold, pulled the flaps down and tightened up the pinch, then installed the ferrule right above the pinch so it is easy to get back to the right length
VaccaRabite
I used a piece of an old 914 throttle cable. Worked like a camp.
Mikey914
QUOTE(AE354803 @ May 2 2013, 09:11 AM) *

I used braided cable from Home Depot (1/16 or 3/32") something like that, they sell it by the foot. The ferrules are right next to it in the aisle.

They have the single and double ferrules, IIRC I had to sand down the single ferrule or cut half (one of the openings) of the double ferrule off so that it would fit in the end of the thermostat.

Total was less than $5 and maybe an hour time (lazy Saturday)

For length I just installed the cable when everything was cold, pulled the flaps down and tightened up the pinch, then installed the ferrule right above the pinch so it is easy to get back to the right length

I like this idea. Would love to see pics. I'm in the same boat.
76-914
I think someone still sells those. I know that I bought one for a rebuild 2 years ago. unsure.gif
AE354803
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 2 2013, 09:41 AM) *

I like this idea. Would love to see pics. I'm in the same boat.

Here ya go, the little one on the thermostat end was a double ferrule (see the picture in the link below) that I cut in half and then shortened so it fits in there. The flap end is the single ferrule that I clamped on so that it rides on the top of the pinch lever.

Image of double vs single ferrule

Sorry the pics are out of the car but the engine is dismantled.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
913B
How long of length is that cable ? Did you need a special tool to crimp the ferulles ?
AE354803
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ May 4 2013, 12:57 PM) *

How long of length is that cable ? Did you need a special tool to crimp the ferulles ?

It's between 18" and 24" from what I remember, no special tool I just crimp with a visegrips. I left it long, installed it and then cut it to length. I'd take the thermostat to the store to make sure everything will fit and the ferrules will be the right size, I think it was 1/16" OD cable (just bring the thermostat and make sure it fits through the hole).

Just pull the flap pinch arm down (toward the engine) when the thermostat is cold and installed and tighten it onto the cable in the down position. Then install the single ferrule just above the arm. Then cut it. Done.
dfelz
Thanks for the pics and info, I picked up a 1/16" cable with an ancor on one end. It was only $2.50 from local bike shop. I will post pics when i install it.
Steve73
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rctcdVCbA_o

This video shows how to test your old thermostat. I'd skip to 4:10 though in the video.

Bus engines really are basically the same at 914's
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.