Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grinds into 2nd, adjusted cable but now chatters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RazorbackFan78
I'm in my garage thinking "At what point do I stop adjusting this clutch cable nut and go ahead with buying the bushings super kit at Pelican Parts.

Here's a little history: Bought it in March. PO had very little backstory on it.

She grinded going into 2nd gear every time unless I let the rpm's drop nearly to zero. I adjusted the clutch cable nut (remembering the issues I had with my 74' over a decade ago). But ran out of threads before eliminating the grind. So I've added the spacer as recommended by many folks on the forum.

With spacer added, I'm tightening a few turns, driving it, and repeating.

The grind into 2nd is nearly gone...its more like a quick 'clunk' sound as I shift into 2nd. But now I'm noticing a "chatter" after I've shifted into 2nd gear at higher rpms. The chatter dies down as the rpms fall

Now I'm worried that I've over-adjusted it and perhaps my 2nd gear grind can't be solved with a simple nut adjustment. Any direction from the forum would be appreciated.

Here's a pic of the cable and nut position with spacer.

IPB Image
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r724/r...zps360430c9.jpg

Mike Bellis
eeeww dirty!

Sounds like you need a second gear syncro. And a good power washing. And fix the oil leaks.

Time to rebuild the tranny...
pt_700
i agree with mike, you're 2nd gear syncro is probably bad. mine's the same (although my grime's a bit less caked on?). kind of frustrating in traffic, having to shift to 2nd so carefully...

proper fix is a rebuild. you might get some relief with a fluid change. my tranny shifted a bit better after a refill with redline synthetic gear oil. varying opinions here on that stuff...

welcome to the madness!
r_towle
Have you checked your clutch tube to make sure its correctly attached?

Do you grind going into first or reverse?

rich
RazorbackFan78
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 2 2013, 10:59 AM) *

Have you checked your clutch tube to make sure its correctly attached?

Do you grind going into first or reverse?

rich

There are no issues going into and out of 1st or Reverse. I haven't visually inspected the clutch tube but I pulled up the carpet to see if the linkage was flexing like a snake when shifting through the gears (I read in another post that if it's flexing like a snake it's usually a good indicator of a broken clutch tube). It was rigid with no flex. I figured I'd cross that fun bridge when/if I replaced all the bushings.
RazorbackFan78
Yep I'm trying to find a place around here that does engine steam cleaning. I'm a little leery of the powerwasher-driveway scenario. I'm imagining the mess would be EPIC!

Well guys, thanks for the feedback. A tranny rebuild was my worse case scenario. I'll try changing fluid (i'm guessing it's +3yrs old if the PO never changed it). If that doesn't cure it, I'll start searching the threads for tranny suppliers headbang.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Having that clutch cable too tight can cause you a lot of problems with the clutch.

Dr Evil can fix your tranni woes.
TheCabinetmaker
After a second look at the exxon valdez it appears the clutch fork is at half of its travel already. I suspect the pivot ball needs a shim under it to achieve full travel of the fork.
Dr Evil
I agree with both, your pivot ball may need a shim, but its lack has caused yoru 2nd to be worn out and it needs a change. sad.gif
Mblizzard
Go with the Dr! But also check your oil level in the trans. Looking at the grim it has to be low.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.