Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front hood springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
retrotech
What is the best way to remove front hood springs? Hood is off.

Thanks,

Retro
SLITS
Pry bar about 2' long......................and carefully
SirAndy
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 24 2004, 12:58 PM)
Pry bar about 2' long......................and carefully

agree.gif use the top of the shock mount as the pivot point ...

pics in the haynes manual, page 198, lower left corner ...
cool.gif Andy
TheCabinetmaker
I use a 2' long piece of strong wire made into a loop. place it on the spring hook, hook a hammer handle thru the loop and pull gently and release gently. Works for reinstallation too.
Jeffs9146
I use a 2' long piece of strong wire made into a loop. place it on the spring hook, hook a hammer handle thru the loop and pull gently and release gently. Works for reinstallation too.

agree.gif

Nuf said!!

Jeff
mskala
Brad told me a while back to just use heavy leather
gloves. I wouldn't have believed it but it did work,
I successfully moved them one notch tighter. And
I'm not an athlete. Of course, if you can tighten them,
you can take them off just as easily.
Allan
I was wondering about that. I tried to pull them farther out so my hood (Bonnet for those of you who use such discriptions) would stay open. By the way, is this a common problem? confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Headrage @ Nov 24 2004, 03:45 PM)
By the way, is this a common problem? confused24.gif

yupp, that's why i got myself a set of 911 front hood shocks ...

smash.gif Andy

IPB Image
McMark
If I don't care about the black paint, I just clamp a set of Vise Grips just next to the coils and pull. They're not that high of tension. Of course I've got 200 lbs of weight to throw around. If you're a 120 lb lightweight it might be more difficult.
retrotech
I put a carabiner on the end of the hook, then used a crow bar hooked in the other end of carabinet. Used shock stud for leverage, slight pull, and off.

Retro
Gint
We just did this 6 months or so ago...

It's really much easier than it looks. Leather gloves, grab and pull. You'll be surprised.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.