Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Too lean
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
57lincolnman
I have 75 1.8L with L-jet FI. We have completed an engine rebuild and determined that it is running to lean. A:F ratio of 17. We are trying to get it in the 13 or 15 range to make it fatter. I have replaced the AFM with a NOS unit. Any suggestions?
Porschef
The AFM is adjustable. It's pretty easy, the hardest part is getting the cover off. There's a great tutorial available..

Here...
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489885
57lincolnman
QUOTE(Porschef @ May 2 2013, 04:04 PM) *

The AFM is adjustable. It's pretty easy, the hardest part is getting the cover off. There's a great tutorial available..

Here...
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489885

Not sure what this link is for...it talks about tranny swaps for BMW's. Can you be more specific? Thanks.
914itis
Are you drinking again Joe?
Porschef
Oops.

Yes.

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=7761
57lincolnman
QUOTE(Porschef @ May 2 2013, 04:47 PM) *

Perfect. I shall read this carefully and have a go at it in the morning. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks.
Dave_Darling
Mucking with the air flow meter is very very very hard to un-do. I wouldn't try it as the first step.

In fact, the first step should be to find and eliminate any and all vacuum leaks. When un-metered air gets into an L-jet intake, the FI doesn't "know" about it so it cannot add fuel to go along with it. Which results in a lean mixture.

Also check the fuel pressure. Is it in spec? (I forget the spec for the 1.8s, sorry!)

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 2 2013, 10:48 PM) *

Mucking with the air flow meter is very very very hard to un-do. I wouldn't try it as the first step.

In fact, the first step should be to find and eliminate any and all vacuum leaks. When un-metered air gets into an L-jet intake, the FI doesn't "know" about it so it cannot add fuel to go along with it. Which results in a lean mixture.

Also check the fuel pressure. Is it in spec? (I forget the spec for the 1.8s, sorry!)

--DD

Not adjustable. If it's not right, you have choices. Pump, fuel line path, regulator, vacuum supply to regulator. Of course, if the cam profile has been "Upgraded", there's always the ol' "split the case and put in a stock cam trick". As with D-jet, L-jet is intolerant of camshaft changes.

The Cap'n
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 3 2013, 12:53 AM) *

As with D-jet, L-jet is intolerant of camshaft changes.

The Cap'n

I guess I'd better tell Andy (Scarlet75) he needs us to install a stock cam in his 2.2L. blink.gif
biggrin.gif
57lincolnman
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 3 2013, 08:49 AM) *

The Cap'n

I guess I'd better tell Andy (Scarlet75) he needs us to install a stock cam in his 2.2L. blink.gif
biggrin.gif

Previous owner installed a 73 grind. Is it that much different than stock? We've checked for leaks and fuel pressure is in spec. Just put the engine back in car after rebuild using the 73 grind.
timothy_nd28
What RPM does your tach show when at idle?
AndyB
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 3 2013, 12:49 PM) *

The Cap'n

biggrin.gif

I will never go back to stock drunk.gif
Bleyseng
Its pretty easy to adjust the AFM once you open it up. You need a A/F meter to tell you the mix as you do the adjusting inside the AFM. If you are at 17 to 1, what rpm is this at?
You want to be running the test at 2500 rpms up a slight long slope so the engine is under load not coasting. Read the AF meter and then adjust the wiper like in Colin's article. Check the WOT and then set the idle mix.

With a Web 73 you will have to run 1000 rpm idle speed.
Dave_Darling
That may just be mis-adjusting things to cover up a more basic problem. I still say that there's a good chance of vacuum leaks.

--DD
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 11 2013, 02:05 AM) *

That may just be mis-adjusting things to cover up a more basic problem. I still say that there's a good chance of vacuum leaks.

--DD

Dave, he says he is running a Web73 which takes a richer mixture to run right so you have to adjust the AFR. There is no vooddo just a little work.
Drums66
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 2 2013, 10:48 PM) *

....Strictly voodoo, unless you" know" what you are looking for?(readings) idea.gif
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif
markyb
do you still have your decel valve hooked up? mine gave me plenty of trouble trying to get idle down and A/F ratio under control. try blocking the vac line to it if you have one and see how she goes, those are some big ol' vacuum lines and contribute a lot of air to the system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.