Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: flat fan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
I have been thinking about this type of setup for a while with the idea to use some high speed industrial 90 degree drive unit to drive the fan.

This would eliminate the bent fan belt thing I have seen.
Take a look at this piece of crafstmanship....very nice.
No idea on price.

Awesome Flat Fan
pcar916
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 3 2013, 08:59 AM) *

I have been thinking about this type of setup for a while with the idea to use some high speed industrial 90 degree drive unit to drive the fan.

This would eliminate the bent fan belt thing I have seen.
Take a look at this piece of crafstmanship....very nice.
No idea on price.

Awesome Flat Fan

I love this setup. By all accounts though it uses about 35hp (at 6K or 7K rpm) so it's not free to use! The curved vertical 993 fan blades give back ~ 6-7hp at 5K rpm over the standard straight-bladed type they replaced and are quieter too.

They also move less air but frankly, I like the sound of the straight blade fans!
carr914
Looks Pricey
ChrisFoley
More than $14K IIRC.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 3 2013, 10:56 AM) *

More than $14K IIRC.

blink.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=103121

smilie_pokal.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(veltror @ May 3 2013, 02:22 PM) *

Foley sell that type of a system.
I was just looking for a gear driven and more hidden system.

Not looking to hard, just found that on a pelican thread, looked cool.

rich
ChrisFoley
I think thats a reproduction of a factory racing part Rich.
They are uber expensive. I saw one at Musante Motorsports last year, being installed on the new engine for the Fabcar 911.
gothspeed
that thing is cool but worth far more than many of our cars sad.gif
FourBlades

Can someone make a less expensive version of that, or is that what they cost to make no matter who is making them?

John
URY914
Click to view attachment
bandjoey
No wonder it's expensive. Look at where some of the parts come from:
MS-000-021 Darth Vader hat
At 700HP, who worries about 35HP loss??

It's a work of art
Dr Evil
I dont see why a cheaper version of this can not be made out of a motorcycle shaft drive or similar. If I had time and less projects I would tackle this.
ottox914
So cool. Really puts the Tangerine system in perspective.
Porsche930dude
14K lol-2.gif obviously they dont want to make alot of them. that should cost like 6 or 700 tops. you could use a right angle drive from like a 7" angle grinder. they are plenty strong. the shroud is easy . just need a lathe to make the shafts work with the angle drive
GeorgeRud
That certainly is a great look, and seems like it could be copied with more readily available parts. With all the talk of 3d printers, I'd love to see someone come up with some ideas ( way past my abilities however).
rwilner
I'm sure that one is a bargain compared to what this one costs
MATTYLITE
I must say, they do sound wicked..

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Porsche930dude
seems like it would be better just to use a standard upright fan but get the alternator out of the housing and make a new fan with more open area and better flow
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.