Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing Front and Rear Main Seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
I am in the process of planning for the removal of my engine to check a few things as well as replace the leaking front and rear seals. In the past, I have only done this in the short block stage where it was somewhat easier to over come any mistakes.

I am looking at potentially getting a short block from Original Customs but if that turns out not to be needed then the replacement of the seals is a must. I think I have the know how and proper instruction manuals. But I have not built an engine in 20+ years and there is no manual that comes close to matching the knowledge on this forum. So I am asking now instead of latter.

The engine is a 1975 1.8 (carbs as many probably know by now) with a 96mm big bore kit. I am suspecting that the PO did the top of the motor with the big bore install and left the bottom alone. A carb cam was supposedly installed but the condition of the bottom end does not entirely support a complete rebuild. Compression is good at 130 plus. It has a few minor drips from the push rod tubes which will be replaced.

But what else am I missing to check on the engine while it is out?
JawjaPorsche
Replace oil cooler seals while engine is out. (Two required) Replace fan belt.

http://www.automotion.com/seals-oil-cooler...-1970-1976.html
ThePaintedMan
agree.gif

I've also heard that we're supposed to check flywheel end play when it's out.

The biggest thing I remember being a pain in the ass was making sure that you have all of the other miscellaneous components that go along with the seals. That includes o-rings, felt washers, crush washer, pilot bearing, new flywheel bolts (the old ones are not to be re-used), etc. Consult the PET or a good diagram to make sure you have it all.
A&PGirl
You need new impeller bolts as well. The main bolt has a self locking patch on it. Don't forget a new o-ring here too.

For other leaks, see the oil pump and the oil filler. For details on how to fix those drop me a message and I'll send the notes to you (after I write them biggrin.gif ). You'll need new gaskets for these areas as well.

Next leaking item, push rod tube seals. Replace with new o-rings. Should be available at your local friendly VW shop.

The oil sump plate, oil pressure switch, oil drain bolt and the oil filter mount may also be leaking.
reese5997
Hello,

I have recently blown a front main seal and am in need of replacing. Every website I search, that advertises the front main seal shows it in their diagrams as the "rear main seal" between the engine and tranny. I have not dropped the engine yet, but with the car on a lift, my source is leak is near the engine fan from what I can see. The engine has less than 600 miles on a Raby 2270 daily driver.

I have three questions:
What could have caused this?
Does anyone know a website which sells these?
On a scale from 1-10, what is the difficulty level?Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
Wow I would bet it is not the main. Oil pressure sensor or return tube leak maybe but cant really see that happening on a Raby.
McMark
You should pull the motor to do it, and sometimes it's known as a fan seal or fan hub seal.
dangrouche
021-105-247-A-M213 Pelican Parts front fan seal. NEED TO DROP motor for that. hopefully oil pressure sensor not torqued down adequately; no need to drop motor for that: need a 24mm deep socket and apply less than 10 pounds of torque.
reese5997
I didnt think so either sinice he advertises that his engines "do not leak", but I actually talked to him and that is what he suggested. No further information was obtained from him. I can tell you that it drips about 1 drop of oil every 3-5secs when the engine is running. Oil temp sensor and deep oil sump are leak free.
reese5997
Hey, thank you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.