Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sheet metal replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
peteyd
I'm starting this thread for people who need reference or a guide to install some of the parts that we produce. We will be making how to videos also that will be posted on our youtube channel.

We bought this car off a member here, Enhoover.

When we received the car we stripped it and built a rotisserie (plans for these are available).

We removed the right rear quarter panel to better illustrate some of the installations that will be done.

Here is the car right after we got the rear quarter removed.

Click to view attachment

the rotisserie we built

Click to view attachment

off to the blaster

Click to view attachment
veltror
looks like mine !!! care to donate any parts smile.gif
peteyd
Now that we have the car back we can start to install some of the parts that we produce.

we will be starting with the clam shell stiffening kit we sell.

We painted the car green so when we bring the car to shows it will stand out.

Click to view attachment

there was front end collision damage that was repaired at one point, so we will have to redo this properly.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

we will also have to install floor pans, rear trunk floor, left rear quarter and the front trunk floor
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Cairo94507
What a great idea. Looking forward to seeing this all happen. first.gif
FourBlades

I agree that this is an excellent idea. piratenanner.gif

Looking forward to watching this. chowtime.gif

John
gothspeed
Petey, how about an entire new chassis that we can just move our tags over to? wink.gif
doug_b_928
This is going to be great to watch!
bandjoey
At the end it needs to move to the Restoration thread area.

Is this Rotisserie simply a roll the entire cage over on its side and upside down or is there something I can't see?

Waiting on the next edition!

How 'bout showing us the presses in action - how you make the parts?

and yes to complete bodies!
wingnut86
...agreed.

What they said;-P
bulitt
This can only help the end user because when you (the manufacturer) start installing metal, you will identify design tweeks to make them better and easier to install. Like the Engman kits that progressed over time through many iterations. And somewhere in the build process you are going to say to yourself "dang, I wish someone made this replacement master cylinder/pedal floor area". Then you will!
Luke M
Hi Pete...

Perfect timing. My brother just placed that big order for the sheet metal this past week. Time to sawzall-smiley.gif & welder.gif .. I'm sure this will help in some areas.
Any plans on installing the R/R inner control arm mount on your car?

beerchug.gif
peteyd
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 3 2013, 04:56 PM) *

Is this Rotisserie simply a roll the entire cage over on its side and upside down or is there something I can't see?

The rotis rolls right over. Its much easier with two people, but manageable with one.

Maybe some day the whole car can be made!

QUOTE(bulitt @ May 3 2013, 06:55 PM) *

This can only help the end user because when you (the manufacturer) start installing metal, you will identify design tweeks to make them better and easier to install. Like the Engman kits that progressed over time through many iterations. And somewhere in the build process you are going to say to yourself "dang, I wish someone made this replacement master cylinder/pedal floor area". Then you will!

Ya for sure we will find areas we need to tweak, and then we will make improvements. If the pedal area get more demand, that is a possibility in the future.

QUOTE(Luke M @ May 4 2013, 06:07 AM) *

Hi Pete...

Perfect timing. My brother just placed that big order for the sheet metal this past week. Time to sawzall-smiley.gif & welder.gif .. I'm sure this will help in some areas.

beerchug.gif

No immediate plans to replace the control arm. This car surprisingly does not have rust in that area.

This will be a fun progression from start to finish. Im looking forward to giving updates on this project. Its going to take some time to install all these parts but be patient and I think the outcome will be very informative and fun to watch.

Pete
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(peteyd @ May 4 2013, 08:54 AM) *

No immediate plans to replace the control arm. This car surprisingly does not have rust in that area.

Famous last words.... wink.gif

(They often rust from the inside out; it appears that a lot of them didn't get enough paint in between the multiple layers of metal.)

--DD
rick 918-S
popcorn[1].gif
kid914
WOW!
This is perfect timing as I will be doing my floors, and many other parts.
Looking forward to seeing this unfold and learn at the same time.
Thanks PETE! first.gif
beerchug.gif piratenanner.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(peteyd @ May 4 2013, 11:54 AM) *

The rotis rolls right over. Its much easier with two people, but manageable with one.

Maybe some day the whole car can be made!

QUOTE(bulitt @ May 3 2013, 06:55 PM) *

Ya for sure we will find areas we need to tweak, and then we will make improvements. If the pedal area get more demand, that is a possibility in the future.

QUOTE(Luke M @ May 4 2013, 06:07 AM) *

Hi Pete...

beerchug.gif

This will be a fun progression from start to finish. Im looking forward to giving updates on this project. Its going to take some time to install all these parts but be patient and I think the outcome will be very informative and fun to watch.

Pete

Well, I would like to see how you deal with that area in a transition between new floor pans and old thin rusted pedal area.
Without super long arms, or a help, using a hammer and dolly is that area is challenging to say the least.
One place I would like to have you observe closely as the installation of the pan happens.
It's ugly, and a weld in panel would be small and helpful.

Rich
cary

Plus one for me.
I had to buy a used one for my project.
peteyd
Here are the drawings for the rotisserie we made.

Rear hoop
Click to view attachment

Front hoop
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

close up of horizontal tubes.
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(peteyd @ May 3 2013, 01:45 PM) *
We bought this car off a member here, Enhoover.

You should add it to the VIN database under your name ...
shades.gif
peteyd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiGB_MHBbls
peteyd
Installation of the frame stiffener

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVrmUHRfbCs
Luke M
Hi Pete,

We ( being my brother & I ) received all of the new metal to do the repairs on our cars. It was a fast order to receive even with all the tins. I must say a job well done at your end. I have a question on the stiffener kit install. Can they be installed w/o having to cut off a portion of the rear lower fenders ?
I plan on doing the install within the next month.

Thanks for adding the videos.

TIA.
moparrob
Subscribed. popcorn[1].gif
Jon H.

At the end it needs to move to the Restoration thread area.

Waiting on the next edition!

Here's how the front trunk is done.
Front trunk

Jon
cary
Man, Pete your fast .................. LOL.
Nice work ................
r_towle
Well done.

Might want to put the frame stiffener overlay on your website....I can't find it.
D your guys make the piece up front on the long that goes over the long and under the front fender?

Rich
peteyd
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 15 2013, 07:32 PM) *

Well done.

Might want to put the frame stiffener overlay on your website....I can't find it.
D your guys make the piece up front on the long that goes over the long and under the front fender?

Rich

Here is the part on the web

http://www.restoration-design.com/mm5/merc...duct_Code=P346R

If you are referring to the lower box shape piece that is part of the hinge post, we dont make a replacement piece for there yet. The boxy shape piece that is part of the stiffener up front we make and that fits right over the original.
peteyd
QUOTE(Luke M @ May 15 2013, 07:18 AM) *

Hi Pete,

We ( being my brother & I ) received all of the new metal to do the repairs on our cars. It was a fast order to receive even with all the tins. I must say a job well done at your end. I have a question on the stiffener kit install. Can they be installed w/o having to cut off a portion of the rear lower fenders ?
I plan on doing the install within the next month.

Thanks for adding the videos.

TIA.

I cut off the lower fenders on my personal car as well. It would be tight in there if you didnt cut some away. It would be much easier for sure to cut away the lower fender, but you should try anyways. It wouldnt hurt to make the attempt.
Chris H.
Sorry for the ignorance but are the frame stiffeners an alternative to the "Engman kit" or would you do both? It depends on the application I'm sure.
peteyd
QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 16 2013, 12:26 PM) *

Sorry for the ignorance but are the frame stiffeners an alternative to the "Engman kit" or would you do both? It depends on the application I'm sure.

I'd say that it would be an alternative. Having both would probably be overkill.
peteyd
We just completed replacing the front and rear floor pans as well as the seat mount reinforcement pieces and the peddle cluster bracket.

I will have another installation video up shortly, but here are a few photos of the process.

Here is the prep work before drilling out the spot welds.
Click to view attachment

After the spot welds are drilled we have to chisel off the edges of the pan.
Click to view attachment

You can see all the rust that is hiding between the pans, so when someone tells you their car is "100% rust free" you know thats BS.
Click to view attachment

Test fitting the front pan.
Click to view attachment

Holes punched in the pans for rosette welds
Click to view attachment

Boths pans and jack points being test fit with butt weld clamps in the middle. The seat mount reinforcements have been spot welded in and the peddle cluster bracket was located with the peddle cluster. The holes were drilled then the bracket was spot welded in also.
Click to view attachment

Heres the finished product.
Click to view attachment
peteyd
Here is our latest installation video...

enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kMOMNhxg-A
peteyd
We have updated the YouTube channel with another video of a rear trunk installation.

We also have made the rear trunk reinforcement that lays over the transaxle cross member mount. This new part is P335A

check it out and enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBmJkP8I_rI
solex
This is great, i really need to do something about my floor next. Thank you
peteyd
We put together another video for your viewing pleasure.

Adam demonstrates the installation of the seat hinge risers and the hinges.

If your interested in the cooling gel used in the video, it is a wurth product. Spray it on a nearby location and that area will not heat up. There are some youtube videos demonstrating it in use. Pretty amazing stuff actually.

wurth welding spray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWgt8AaqnUI
Sleepin
I agree with most on here that this came along just in time! I am doing a passenger side floorpan replacement very shortly!

To fix this mess:
IPB Image

Does Restoration design make anything for the cowl/fender seam? My passenger side is also in bad shape.
peteyd
Currently we dont have any repair piece for that seam. If you have rust in there, it probably goes deeper.

You might want to get a piece from a donor car. Make sure you get all the rust or else you will see rust coming to the surface again in a couple years.
worn
QUOTE(peteyd @ Sep 20 2013, 08:17 AM) *

Currently we dont have any repair piece for that seam. If you have rust in there, it probably goes deeper.

You might want to get a piece from a donor car. Make sure you get all the rust or else you will see rust coming to the surface again in a couple years.

I am curious why you had the car painted at the outset, since obviously it will need to be at least partially painted at the end again. Was it for contrast in the videos?
peteyd
QUOTE(worn @ Sep 20 2013, 10:47 AM) *

I am curious why you had the car painted at the outset, since obviously it will need to be at least partially painted at the end again. Was it for contrast in the videos?

We painted the car green so it would stand out at shows and swap meets. It also works well for contrast as you said.

Yes it will need to be painted again in the end, but this is more of a demonstration car and will most likely remain a bare shell for quite some time.
peteyd
We have shot a few more videos of the green 914, but I wanted to put this video up first.

A day in the Life of Restoration Design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6CEx0UB8FM
mepstein
Good to see that you guys are doing well. Always a pleasure to order from you.
doug_b_928
Nice piece of Canadiana. Where the heck did you get that tractor? It's a beaut!
bulitt
Love you guys!

Pedal cluster panel next? Soon? Maybe? lol-2.gif
peteyd
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Feb 27 2014, 06:50 AM) *

Nice piece of Canadiana. Where the heck did you get that tractor? It's a beaut!

Thanks,

At one point we had about 8 Porsche tractors all in different stages of disrepair. We picked them all up in Ontario at a few different locations. My Dad restored this one and several others. He has sold a few and shipped several overseas. We still have two others, one of which is still midway through its restoration.
peteyd
QUOTE(bulitt @ Feb 27 2014, 07:19 AM) *

Love you guys!

Pedal cluster panel next? Soon? Maybe? lol-2.gif

I have three other 914 parts that I am in the midst of working on.

I will give updates on these pieces when they are ready. As for the pedal cluster, that is something I will have to look into still.
76-914
Wow. I just noticed that you make the rear trunk reinforcement piece so I ordered one. Thx Pete.
bandjoey
Thanks for the updates...I've bought your metal and it's always top shelf!

When will the new complete body shells be available??? biggrin.gif I've seen complete new Mustang body shells online ( 64 - 78 models) for $15k. New. Just a thought....

skeates
These are awesome! Wish they were around when I started tearing into my project...would have saved me some headache for sure...
rsrguy3
Can any of you gents direct me to a thread with a comprehensive front quarter r&r with pics?-Guy
CptTripps
So you only ship one thing a day?

hide.gif

Seriously though...thanks for making the awesome stuff you make.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.