Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drive It
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
klink
Haven't been here for a long, long time although I do check in once and a while. OK here's the deal. My son and I went through this car mechanically since we got it in 2003. We finished the 'build' in 2010. It ran very well. I had some issues with blown fuses and a bad 'new' fuel pump. I lost my confidence in the car. So it sat in the garage barely broke in. About nine months ago my son said 'why don't you drive that thing to the river house and get over it'. Well, it ran perfect. I had a blast. Since then I've been driving the wheels off of it including back to the River. It doesn't even leak, but I know it will. All it needs is paint and some rubber and the paint ain't that bad. What's my point? Although these cars have some idiosyncrasies involving electrical gremlins and subtle inconveniences they really are a real kick in the ass to drive. So go out and drive it. It will make you happy. Thanks for listening. Glad to see there's still some crazies out there like me. piratenanner.gif
914Sixer
Lots of use advanced crazies out there.
Mblizzard
Taking mine out with my wife in the morning. She understands the quirks of the 914 as my 1971 caused me to be over 24 hours late for our first date. Well it wasn't the last time the car caused me to be late and she married me anyway.

But she and you also understand how great that kick in the ass really is. In fact she got me this for my rear view mirror.

Click to view attachment
klink
Well my girlfriend which is now my wife for 36 years used to drive the original 72' we had. Of course it had the hot start problem. We had a butter knife in the car and she would climb under the car and jump the starter with it and away she would go. Oh to be young again. It was a lot of fun.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(klink @ May 3 2013, 08:23 PM) *

Well my girlfriend which is now my wife for 36 years used to drive the original 72' we had. Of course it had the hot start problem. We had a butter knife in the car and she would climb under the car and jump the starter with it and away she would go. Oh to be young again. It was a lot of fun.

OK there is no topping that! Ugh... Looks like rain. No drive today maybe I will try to teach my wife the butter knife trick? smile.gif

Why do they put up with us?
rex66m
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ May 4 2013, 06:38 AM) *

QUOTE(klink @ May 3 2013, 08:23 PM) *

OK there is no topping that! Ugh... Looks like rain. No drive today maybe I will try to teach my wife the butter knife trick? smile.gif

Why do they put up with us?

I was all up for a drive, too, this morning - but, alas, rain here, too. Will have to wait - maybe time for a project?
Drums66
....Driving an unsorted 914; can cause paranoia,in some people idea.gif
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif (especially,driving distances?)
Mblizzard
I once drove my 1971 from Knoxville to Phoenix AZ. Not a single problem. It was sorted fairly well. But the morning after I returned dropped a valve. I think luck has a lot to do with it. Of course the fact that I drove it like it was stolen on the way back obviously had nothing to do with it dropping a valve.
OU8AVW
I sit in mine and make car noises while imagining the open road. Does that count blink.gif
Mblizzard
Sitting in the car? Judges??? Yes that counts!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.