Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Probably a dumb question but....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lonewolfe
I have a set of 96.0 mm stroker JE Racing pistons. can they be used with 71.0mm stock 2.0 crank with stock sized 2.0 rods? I was thinking of building a 2270cc motor with these pistons but now thinking of a 2056 so I can keep heat in my car. I have a practically new set off SSI Heat exchangers. It sounds like if I go the 2270 route I'll have over heating issues and loss of a lot of power if I use the heat exchangers instead of a header. I also already have a sweet new ceramic coated European Racing Header. I know Tangerine makes the best header and it has a heat option but that setup is way over my budget. I'd love to have it, don't get me wrong, but it's a very pricey option!
ldsgeek
It depends in the pin height of the pistons but not likely> For a stroker they would either require shorter rods (which brings other problems to the table) or raised pin bosses. An easy check would be to compare the distance from the wrist pin bore to the top of the piston on these and the stock pistons. More than a few thousandths difference and it won't work.
Mark Henry
No, stroker pistons have 22mm pins, at minimum you have to custom bush the rods so you wouldn't be saving much.

Just go with a Chinese 78mm crank, they're OK just a bit heavy. It will work OK with SSI's, you'll just lose
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 4 2013, 05:33 AM) *

No, stroker pistons have 22mm pins, at minimum you have to custom bush the rods so you wouldn't be saving much.

Just go with a Chinese 78mm crank, they're OK just a bit heavy. It will work OK with SSI's, you'll just lose

Hey Mark, you said the SSI heat exchangers will work but I'll just lose.......? You didn't finish your sentence. I assume loss of power but what about cooling issues?

lonewolfe
As for rod length for the 2258cc. Should I go with 5.325" , 5.398" or 5.4" with a 78mm crankshaft? I've read that all of these length rods have been used successfully with a 78mm crankshaft. Is one length better than the others? I'd prefer to get the best rod length from the beginning to ease the build process. The stroker crankshaft I have is a 78.0mm welded cw crankshaft with Type 1 rod journals. It is not a 78.4 so this would be a 2258cc motor instead of a 2270 which uses the 78.4mm crank.
Dave_Darling
Longer rods are more efficient--the direction of "push" of the piston is closer to directly in line with the crank, and you lose less power to the piston trying to move itself from side to side in the bore.

Shorter rods fit better, they need less overall space.

In some cases, strokers with longer rods require custom-made pushrods and even pushrod tubes because the motor is physically wider than the stock parts allow. They can also require modifications to the engine tin to fit.

How long is too long? I don't know.

--DD
lonewolfe
A 2258/2270 should come out pretty close to stock width. I know the push rods will have to be custom length but the stock pushrod tubes should work without any issues. I know any of the rod sizes I mentioned will work for this size motor but I'm just looking for the lenth with the least amount of tweaking other things. I believe you can go up to an 80mm crank without any motor width issues. I may be wrong about the 80mm but I know the 78.0-78.4 cranks work without width issues.

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 4 2013, 07:30 PM) *

Longer rods are more efficient--the direction of "push" of the piston is closer to directly in line with the crank, and you lose less power to the piston trying to move itself from side to side in the bore.

Shorter rods fit better, they need less overall space.

In some cases, strokers with longer rods require custom-made pushrods and even pushrod tubes because the motor is physically wider than the stock parts allow. They can also require modifications to the engine tin to fit.

How long is too long? I don't know.

--DD

Mark Henry
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ May 4 2013, 02:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 4 2013, 05:33 AM) *

Hey Mark, you said the SSI heat exchangers will work but I'll just lose.......? You didn't finish your sentence. I assume loss of power but what about cooling issues?

Don't know what happened I meant to say you would "just lose some HP".

5.325" rods using KB pistons only need about .020-.030 of shim, I don't know the pin hieght on your JE's.
I wouldn't use any longer than the 5.4" rod. On a 78mm X102mm JE's with 5.4 rods I have to use .135 shims.
DBCooper
I don't know the pin size or height on your pistons, but the cheap/easy/effective conbination is a 1.7-1.8 crank offset ground to 78.4 with a VW T1 journal size, then use CB's T1 5.325 rods, either their new forged I-beam or the 5.400 H-beams. You need 22mm pin pistons, but the engine will stay stock width (or close) and need chromoly cut-to-length pushrods and cylinder spacers (to set deck height) but not much else. JE makes different pistons with different pin sizes and heights, so I don't know what you have, but I built that exact combination 2270 without a lot of drama. The lighter T1 rods with those forged pistons lower the rotating mass and make the engine less of a tractor, but they're just as strong as the big-ass stock T4 rods/pistons.

Edit: Oops, Mark you posted as I was still writing so I repeated. Sorry.
r_towle
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 4 2013, 08:33 AM) *

Not sure what you mean by striker piston, but JEFF makes pistons to order, any size you want.

Mine are JE pistons using a stock 71mm crank.

So, you need to use whatever crank the pistons are designed to be mated with.

Rich
lonewolfe
I bought a bunch of parts for an engine build from a guy who never started the build. He sold the car and had been sitting on the parts for 3-4 years. Anyhow, I got a great deal! I got a case that has all the clearence work done, oil galley plugs done etc..., a 78mm welded cw crankshaft with Type 1 journals, JE racing pistons w/ 22mm pins and Scat h-beam rods. The rods are way too long at 5.7" and will be getting sold. So, the pistons were purchased for a 2258cc motor. All these parts are new except for the case of course. On the underside of the piston the only markings are JE & 97M. They measure 55.88mm in diameter at the widest point. These pistons have a much lower profile or height top to bottom than stock pistons. I am certain they are "B" pistons.

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 5 2013, 03:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 4 2013, 08:33 AM) *

Not sure what you mean by striker piston, but JEFF makes pistons to order, any size you want.

Mine are JE pistons using a stock 71mm crank.

So, you need to use whatever crank the pistons are designed to be mated with.

Rich

r_towle
so, get rods that work and build the big motor....

Measure pin height from the top of the piston to the center of the hole.
Measure the pin hole diamter, divide by two, add to the other measurment for the center measurement.

You can get rods for that setup from FAT, Jake Raby, DPR, SCAT, CB Performance etc....

Put the big motor together, you wont be sorry.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.