Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: do you lock your 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
opera guy
yo yo yo, my car car is finally back.

thanks to someone pointing out that there was a crack on my just rebuilt head, it took a while longer. anyway, now that i am drving the car to places, i wanna lock it, but only the passenger side door would lock. if i lock the driverside door, i cant open from the inside, but i can open from the outside. kind of defeat the purpose. although, i suppose, if a thief just hops into the car (assuming i dont have top on) he wont be able to get out of the driverside door laugh.gif

should i even bother fixing somethign like this? i dont even have a cdplayer on there.
mattillac
i used to have a 240z that i couldnt lock. i used to just remove the coil to distributor cap wire. it fits easily in your pocket or under a seat or something. if someone tries to steal your car it will turn over, but never fire. car thief would probably just get pissed and leave. who wants to steal a 914 anyway? j/k wink.gif
SGB
NAh, I just have a crummy stereo and I don't want someone to break in for that. Its an old habit from my convertable VW days.
nebreitling
depends what neighborhood i'm in. last time i parked in the mission, someone tried to open my (locked) door. they ended up breaking the f-ing door handle. shit like that really pisses me off. does it look like there's anything in there? and don't get me started on the time that some homeless dude started to piss on it...

but, no -- usually i don't lock it. top's always off anyways.
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Nov 24 2004, 05:28 PM)
depends what neighborhood i'm in.

agree.gif

the most expensive thing in the car is the sunglasses cool_shades.gif
The Blaupunkt is a pullout I got off Ebay for $25....

But, yes, I do lock it at times.

....b
Trekkor
I never lock the doors.
the key will lock but will not unlock. confused24.gif headbang.gif huh.gif

KT
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 24 2004, 06:46 PM)
I never lock the doors.
the key will lock but will not unlock. confused24.gif headbang.gif huh.gif

KT

who wants to steal a street sweeper? lol2.gif
rick 918-S
Lock it. I parked right under the lights in the Blackwoods parking lot 10' from the front door and some punk tried to steal my stereo! I didn't lock it!
Robert21
mueba.gif mueba.gif i have power door locks. its better than
getting all the keys to work right
Rhodes71/914
Never have locked my 914, then again I only drove it for a week before getting it ready for a transplant. Also rarely lock any of my cars, just don't leave anything valuable in there. Had to many broken windows over the years. Ya lose your stuff and have to replace a window.
Rider914
I had a V-10 dodge ram that I put a poor mans anti-theft device in, and it saved it. I pulled the fuse to the fuel pump and stuck a wire into the hot side and ran it through a inline fuse to a switch under the dash. Cost $6 at radio shack. Sure enough some little punk (he left his shirt in the car and it was sized for a 8yr old) jimmied the rear window and busted the ignition. It cost me $1500 to repair.

It happend again two weeks later and I found marks on the quarter panel (same as last time) that looked like elbows from where they tested for a shock sensor for a alarm.

Lesson learned - get an alarm with a shock sensor and starter kill (it is cheaper than a new dash and window) or drive a pos that no one wants.

I have also used a switch on the gas guage - shows E. Anyone who steals a car won't put gas in it, and they don't want to run out. So they will leave it.
skline
There is no sense in locking my car, it has not been on the street in over 2 years.
bare 1
Lock it? I gotta drive it further than around the block first!!! Send me your finest dollars so I can repair the suspension and rear wheel bearing. Then I'll see if the locks work!!!!! Not to mention that fist sized hole by the battery. Is this a masochist's car? Oh Help me Lord! I am so sick.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.