Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing Rear Spring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
I'm installing 140lb springs to replace whatever the PO put in my teener. Besides ride quality, the goal is to lift the back end a little from where it was. This photo shows the new springs next to the current spring.

Click to view attachment

I've got two questions:

1. Which way does the 140 install? One end has less space between coils than the other.

2. Do I compress the new springs to a shorter length than what is in the car now? If so, how much? I know I need to compress them in order to install them, but I'm talking about the post installation length. It looks like the lower keeper is adjustable so that it could be made shorter.

TIA for the advice.
shoguneagle
Ernie,

The shock you are showing has several positions where to put the snap-ring that the lower spring perch assembly will set; if you are using the same shocks leave the snap-ring in same location; spring is orientated with the tighter area at the top; these are progressive 140# springs like the ones I am installing in my car.

Your length should be about the same as the old ones with the 140# springs providing increased load capability. I would experience with the old settings and adjust from there. Develop a base line first and then experiment from there.

I know of one business that has a spring compressor but do not know how much he charges; I will have to find out as soon as I get off medical restriction and can work on my car.

Hope this helps.

Steve
ThinAir
Thanks, Steve. AutoZone has the compressors to loan. Put down about a $60 deposit and bring it back within 90 days to get every cent back.

The first one is done. I stumbled across this thread that has conflicting advice on which way to orient the coils. I went with tight coils up since it was 2 out of 3 recommending that.

According to the spring identification thread the originals were 100# factory springs (3 green dots).

This photo shows the originals, unsprung, the new 140 installed, and the old 100 installed.

Click to view attachment

The lower perch was already at the highest point so I left it there. My only concern is that the 140's are so short that I did not need to compress them to do the install. They are snug at this point so we'll see how they work out.
AE354803
QUOTE(ThinAir @ May 4 2013, 02:45 PM) *

The lower perch was already at the highest point so I left it there. My only concern is that the 140's are so short that I did not need to compress them to do the install. They are snug at this point so we'll see how they work out.

As long as the springs won't shift out of position you should be okay. Try and see if you can force them around by hand. If so you should figure out some way to secure them in there, wouldn't want to have one of the shocks fully extend and have the spring shift out to the side while you're driving.

May be as simple as putting a short piece of pipe inside the upper spring and welding it to the hat so that it won't let it shift out? Just make sure it doesn't contact with the shock or bind on the spring when compressed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.