Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front right wheel.. squeaky squeaky squeaky
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steuspeed
The weather is great and I have the top off. The front right is making a squeaky sound kind of like on/off brake squeal. It stops when I apply the brakes and then resumes when I lift off the brakes. Any clues?
confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
Check your wheel bearings. They could be loose (tighten the spindle nut as per the manual) causing the rotor to wobble and rub on the pads causing the squeal.

Check the wheel bearings and then bed the pads again.
Dave_Darling
Pad is rubbing on the rotor. When you push the pedal, the pad gets squeezed against the rotor with no room to wiggle and vibrate and make noise. When you're not pushing the pedal, the pistons retract a tiny bit so there is room for the pad to wiggle and that makes noise.

Try some "blue goo" on the back of the pads. Also make sure that the brakes are in good shape, the spreader springs are not broken, and so on.

--DD
Eric_Shea
If the bearings are tight and the pads are rubbing, bed them again. Goo on the back is voodoo medicine. Properly bedded pads won't make noise.

There's a reason the pad is rubbing making the noise. Either the bearings are loose or bad or the piston on the caliper is sticking. Bedding the pads may help if the bearings are good.
steuspeed
I'll check the bearing and pads Monday and report back. Thanks guys. I put new pads and rotors on the back last summer. RR inside pad was all the way to metal due to the handbrake cable adjustment. The fronts looked fine at the time. Plenty of pad left, and no issues.
steuspeed
I took the pads out and look what I found. It was a little rock wedged against the dust shield.
Eric_Shea
Or... it could be a rock in there. biggrin.gif

Nice sleuth work. wink.gif
7TPorsh
Leave it in there a little longer and it may turn to a diamond
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.