Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FG Bumper Top Installation Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
I'm trying to mount the FG bumper tops from the group buy. They fit wonderfully, but I've got a few questions for those who have already mounted their tops.

1. How do you mount the top to the bumper? There are rubber fingers that extent through the original bolt holes, but no info on how you are to keep it attached. Some sort of "speed nut" from the local Ace Hardware comes to mind.

2. What did you do about mounting a license plate lamp? There is no provision for mounting the factory lights.

3. I've got a couple of scuffs in the paint that need a touch-up. I've got a can of Rust-Oleum black that would probably work, but I'm wondering if I should be looking for something specifically for fiberglass.

TIA for the help.
Harpo
The rubber fingers come off and expose the studs

Hope this helps

David
saigon71
They do fit well and look great! David is right, just pull the rubber off of the studs. Then make a trip to your local hardware store to pick up some metric nuts & washers. I forgot what size they are.

Just did this...I took measurements from an old rear bumper top & used a Dremmel tool to cut out the areas for the license plate lights. I attached them to the fiberglass with sheet metal screws.

Start at post #345 for pics:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...3957&st=340

As far as touch up goes, check with Mark on what he recommends.
Harpo
The studs are M6-1.0 and I believe the paint on the FG bumper top is gel coat
Mikey914
Yes the pain is a Gel coat, it can be cleaned up with a Maguires #6 clearer / polish like any painted finish. These can be touched up or even repainted the color of the car. There is enough material you can sand off the texture if you wish.

M6 is correct, might want to use a nylon lock nut version.

The fiberglass can be cut to accept the lights or other lights. There are a few cool ideas here -
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-light-modules/
ThinAir
Thanks for the info. I'm very pleased with Mark's product, these were just a few things that I didn't realize I'd have to address. I really like the idea of an LED license plate light.

Since the fiberglass is rigid, it certainly reveals the inconsistencies in my bumper. I had not realized that the bumper had been bent in and up by the PO. Looks like a "new" bumper is in my future pretty soon.

Here's the front bumper, mounted as-as for now.

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
You may be able to "shim" the other studs to make it more level. Hopefully, it will not take too many.
-Mark
r_towle
Can these bumper tops still be purchased?

I looked all over your site, I could not find them.
ThinAir
I ended up going with one of this led light. I think it looks pretty good.
Click to view attachment

I'm really please with how these came out. I got a 72 front bumper from my son that was much straighter. After painting with the SEM bumper top paint, they look pretty good!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
MoveQik
Looks good Ernie! All it is missing is some RRC bugs. biggrin.gif
ThinAir
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 24 2013, 09:35 PM) *

I'll get those on the way to pick up my Best Narrow Body Yellow 914-4 award driving.gif
JRust
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Jun 24 2013, 11:38 PM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jun 24 2013, 09:35 PM) *

I'll get those on the way to pick up my Best Narrow Body Yellow 914-4 award driving.gif

lol-2.gif . Thats right Wills may not qualify with that fatt ass of his evilgrin.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 26 2013, 01:59 PM) *

Can these bumper tops still be purchased?

I looked all over your site, I could not find them.

Yes they can as I'm caught up with the group buy stuff now. I'm listing them on the website. I'll leave the GB price in til the end of the month.
Sleepin
Looks great Ernie! Those LEDs are sweet too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.