Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine running super rich
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
Car is a stock '71 w/ d-jet. All fuel lines and vacuum lines replaced. I was having engine issues with it running very poor. I got the engine running but now it it runs super rich. How can I lean it out. The knob on the ecu only does so much.
TheCabinetmaker
How do you know its running rich? You have an afr Meter hooked up? How rich is it? Have you checked vacuum on the mps?
mepstein
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 5 2013, 08:52 AM) *

How do you know its running rich? You have an afr Meter hooked up? How rich is it? Have you checked vacuum on the mps?

exhaust smells VERY stongly of gas.

I don't have an afr meter

MPS holds a vacuum.
JStroud
Check fuel pressure?

Jeff
mepstein
QUOTE(jsconst @ May 5 2013, 09:34 AM) *

Check fuel pressure?

Jeff

Original stock fuel pump.
TheCabinetmaker
Leaky or stuck injector.
mepstein
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 5 2013, 09:39 AM) *

Leaky or stuck injector.

Could be. Car runs with good power. I just had the injectors cleaned and they flow tested perfect but who knows.
Bleyseng
first test the CHT sensor cuz if that goes bad the mix goes super rich.
JStroud
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 5 2013, 06:38 AM) *

Check fuel pressure?

Jeff

Doesn't mean anything the pressure regulator controls the pressure, mine was running rich, checked fuel pressure was 31, changed it to 28, runs better.

Jeff
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 5 2013, 08:42 AM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 5 2013, 09:39 AM) *

Leaky or stuck injector.

Could be. Car runs with good power. I just had the injectorcleaned and they flow teted perfect but who knows.

I've seen it happen several times after injectors were
"cleaned"
mepstein
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 5 2013, 09:45 AM) *

first test the CHT sensor cuz if that goes bad the mix goes super rich.

It's new within 500 miles.
mepstein
QUOTE(jsconst @ May 5 2013, 09:50 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 5 2013, 06:38 AM) *

Check fuel pressure?

Jeff

Doesn't mean anything the pressure regulator controls the pressure, mine was running rich, checked fuel pressure was 31, changed it to 28, runs better.

Jeff

ok
913B
Leaking cold start injector.
76-914
I look at Curt's first question re: "how do you know that it is running rich"and your reply is that you can smell it. Either your part Cheetah or we're talking about a rich idle condition. Which is it?
Kaduku
I am having the same problem, I think. Starts very easily, smells strongly of gas upon starting that stinks. After about a minute or two of idling, the idling drops dramatically then goes up and down, to where it almost stalls.

Runs like crap for a mile or two then settles to a somewhat normal idle. Then after it really warms up it settles to a high 1200-1400 RPM.

I am having HPH in Redwood City fix her up soon right after I rebuild my pedal assembly.
mepstein
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 5 2013, 12:11 PM) *

I look at Curt's first question re: "how do you know that it is running rich"and your reply is that you can smell it. Either your part Cheetah or we're talking about a rich idle condition. Which is it?

If I stand around the car while its running for a couple minutes, the car, the garage and my clothes all reek of gas.
mepstein
QUOTE(Kaduku @ May 5 2013, 12:41 PM) *

I am having the same problem, I think. Starts very easily, smells strongly of gas upon starting that stinks. After about a minute or two of idling, the idling drops dramatically then goes up and down, to where it almost stalls.

Runs like crap for a mile or two then settles to a somewhat normal idle. Then after it really warms up it settles to a high 1200-1400 RPM.

I am having HPH in Redwood City fix her up soon right after I rebuild my pedal assembly.

Not exactly what I'm getting but similar. The high idle is also there.
Rand
Check the MPS. If the hose isn't connected properly, or the MPS won't hold vacuum, it goes full rich.
mepstein
QUOTE(Rand @ May 5 2013, 02:26 PM) *

Check the MPS. If the hose isn't connected properly, or the MPS won't hold vacuum, it goes full rich.

MPS holds a vacum and hoses are new and tight.
76-914
I think there are at least two things here. You might get better performance to warm up if you install the washer beneath the cut sensor. Brad Mayer? Here sells them. Does the idle hunt even after full warm up when you say the idle is still high. Because both the hunting and high idle are classic signs of a vacuum leak. Block everything on the vacuum system except the MPS and see how it runs.
914_teener
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 5 2013, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ May 5 2013, 02:26 PM) *

MPS holds a vacum and hoses are new and tight.

I think you need to go through a totally methodical check of each component.

ie....when somebody mentions fuel pressure....it doesn't mean that the fuel pump is bad.

It could mean that your fuel pressure is wrong.

Also...and correlated...just because the CHT is new doesn't mean that it didn't go bad since.

Also has all the mechanical and wiring harnesses been checked and inspected including all the ground points.....

just saying...you need to be very methodical checking the D-jet system.

mepstein
I figured it out. I hooked up a wire incorrectly to the coil when it should have gone to the temp sensor under the cold start valve. Switched wire and engine runs well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.