Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car won't start; turns over very slowly.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Reber
Hi. I have a '75 that hasn't been run in over a year. When I try to (jump) start it, it turns over only very slowly - once every second or two, and won't start. I haven't had to deal with this situation before, so I'm a bit at sea. Could anyone suggest how I might proceed to trouble-shoot this?

Thanks in advance.
Dr Evil
How is your battery?
Reber
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 5 2013, 02:12 PM) *
How is your battery?

It's drained (but not very old) -- but I reckoned the battery's state wouldn't be an issue while I was jump-starting it.
Dr Evil
It can be. Are you crossing the terminals on the starter to see if it turns faster? If so, then your start circuit is draining too many volts and you need a remote start relay (hot start). If it still turns slow, with a charged battery, then the starter is toast.
dangrouche
QUOTE(Reber @ May 5 2013, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 5 2013, 02:12 PM) *
How is your battery?

It's drained (but not very old) -- but I reckoned the battery's state wouldn't be an issue while I was jump-starting it.

you would be surprised how much a fully charged battery makes; do you have load tester to see the health of the battery, I did the same thing on a 944 that couldnt be started with a charged battery, plus the jumper cables of a running car. make sure the battery charged!
Dr Evil
Also, I am completely ignoring that the engine has no oil, or other more egregious internal engine issues may be the cause. Start simple and move from there.
TheCabinetmaker
Seriously? A dead battery won't start the car with a jump?
A dead battery is just sucking the juice from the jumper. You must let the jumper car run for a while so the dead battery will build enough charge to turn the engine.

Btw, these cars have alternators, not generators. So does the newer car your jumping it with. An alternator will not charge a completly dead battery.
TheCabinetmaker
Also, if you leave a lead acid battery on the concrete floor for a year, it will suck the life from it.
Joe Bob
Just because you have a good battery as an assist, the dead battery can be a drag.....ressitance is futile.

Put a meter on the battery in the car. It needs a minimum of 12.5v. Use an external charger. Charge it......if it still turns slowly check the volts at the starter. You may have cracked cables and corrosion creating a drop.

BTW, alternators are NOT designed to charge a battery, they maintain a battery. Expecting the alt to bring a battery up to full charge is a lesson on how to repalce the alternator. BTDT have the tee shirt to prove it....
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Joe Bob @ May 5 2013, 05:09 PM) *

Just because you have a good battery as an assist, the dead battery can be a drag.....ressitance is futile.

Put a meter on the battery in the car. It needs a minimum of 12.5v. Use an external charger. Charge it......if it still turns slowly check the volts at the starter. You may have cracked cables and corrosion creating a drop.

BTW, alternators are NOT designed to charge a battery, they maintain a battery. Expecting the alt to bring a battery up to full charge is a lesson on how to repalce the alternator. BTDT have the tee shirt to prove it....

Mike joe bob z?
Reber
Thanks for the suggestions and for correcting my misunderstanding of what was going on there. I'll put an external charger on it and take it from there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.