Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel line removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
I am trying to pull the original line out of my 72, so that I can install a SS line. I unhooked it at the front, and about three feet pulled right out, and now its stuck. Is there a fitting somewhere mid line that is not allowing it to pull right out?
914Sixer
Pull the rear access cover in the tunnel next to back wall and see if you are hung on clip. Fuel lines are under bend over clips in the tunnel.
jeffdon
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 5 2013, 12:01 PM) *

Pull the rear access cover in the tunnel next to back wall and see if you are hung on clip. Fuel lines are under bend over clips in the tunnel.

I can barely see it via that access hole. Does not appear to be, but I cannot see much of it.

Anyone know the clip locations?
76-914
Just friction. See if you can get some WD40 on it and pull it out from either direction. It's easier to cut it into sections.
jeffdon
Got it! Ended up cutting it off, and shoving it back in. I have about a foot long piece in the tunnel. On a happier note, the SS line went in really easily.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(jeffdon @ May 5 2013, 02:29 PM) *

Got it! Ended up cutting it off, and shoving it back in. I have about a foot long piece in the tunnel. On a happier note, the SS line went in really easily.

Was the engine still in when you did this ? Any tips for installing the SS lines; did you do it alone ? smile.gif

I'm getting ready to do this conversion popcorn[1].gif
TheCabinetmaker
If you didn't cut the metal front piece from the
plastic line in the tunnel, it won't come out the back.
jeffdon
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 5 2013, 03:03 PM) *

If you didn't cut the metal front piece from the
plastic line in the tunnel, it won't come out the back.

Now ya tell me. Oopsy.

I did it alone. Got the line close to the front rubber piece, soaped it up, got the tube started on the opening, then pushed in from the back of the line.
rhodyguy
jim, doable by one person. easier with an extra set of hands and eyes. pm sent.

k
7TPorsh
Easy with engine and tunnel covers off. Tank needs to be out of course.

I attached fishing line to the old one when I pulled it out and fished the new one back through by pulling from the front...checking tunnel and rear as I go.

I did it alone...faster with two but I did plumbing in about 15 minutes once car was up and ready.
gothspeed
When I changed my lines to stainless, in addition to removing the normal access covers, I also removed the shifter assembly. There was one of those built in 'bendable' fuel line clips in there too.
pete000
Did mine with engine in and by my self. Not hard, not easy. Make sure the line do not get twisted up in the tunnel with all the other stuff...
Steve73
What lines did you use? What (if anything) did you use on the ends?
How did you keep for cutting yourself on those sharp wires (Ouch!)
JeffBowlsby
Look for the photos of a removed tunnel section on this site... You can see where the clips are.
walterolin
At the Bird site: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...e_gas_lines.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.