Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why not a 3.0 six?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mtn flyr
Like the title says, any reasons to not put a 3.0 in my 914? I know of a 78 3.0 SC engine with good leak down #s all 6 and 7's. Good compression across the board at 150 to 159, sounds great is super clean, doesn't show signs of oil leaks,, has turbo valve covers, updated chain tensioners. Currently running CIS. I know the CIS is more difficult to fit but has been done. Any thoughts?
Dr Evil
CIS is not hard. Dont forget an oil cooler in the front of the car and you might want to regear your gear box (depends on how you like the stock gearing). Other than that, not a big deal.
rfuerst911sc
I have a 3.0 in mine love it but I'm running Webers.
Jeffs9146
agree.gif
I love my sc powered car!

I modified the stock fi to fit without cutting anything!
a914guy
QUOTE(mtn flyr @ May 5 2013, 12:52 PM) *

Like the title says, any reasons to not put a 3.0 in my 914? I know of a 78 3.0 SC engine with good leak down #s all 6 and 7's. Good compression across the board at 150 to 159, sounds great is super clean, doesn't show signs of oil leaks,, has turbo valve covers, updated chain tensioners. Currently running CIS. I know the CIS is more difficult to fit but has been done. Any thoughts?

Many of us have or a variation of the six. The SC has fuel injection considerations but it's a great candidate for a conversion. I have an SC powered six and although it's carburated it's a great combination with the 910 gearbox. Secondary oil cooler options to the front mounted cooler are available if you want to keep the trunk and plumbing simple.

Good luck!

Rich
'71 3.0L - Ole Yeller
sixnotfour
Sounds Great...how much $$$ 3.2 is better..all around..mainly the injection..
Steve
I have owned a 2.7 and driven a stock 3.0 and I felt they both matched the stock gearing quite well. With my 3.2 I was not happy with the gearing and I am now upgrading to a 915. The 3.2 with a 901 was fine for the track, but for the street 1st is too low and second is too high to start out in without slipping the clutch.. With a 3.6 and v8's they have enough power to start out in second and don't use first at all.
Dr Evil
I love my 2.7 with CIS. Does good with the stock 901, but next time I may increase 5th.
IronHillRestorations
A 3.0 is a great engine for your 914. ......(faint whisper) go the distance.... Depending on what you are doing with the car, you may not need an external oil cooler, but I'd plan on it. CIS isn't the most optimal system, but if it's right it's good, I like carbs or Motronic.
moparrob
The CIS injection sits a bit high for our car's engine bay. If you use the Rich Johnson mount to install the engine (recommended) you will need to mount it one inch lower than if you use Webers.

Some eye candy of my 3.0:

IPB Image

IPB Image

DO IT!!

iamchappy
The 3.0 is a great engine almost bullet proof, it is a good up grade, and the engine can be modified into anything.
moparrob
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 5 2013, 08:10 PM) *

The 3.0 is a great engine almost bullet proof, it is a good up grade, and the engine can be modified into anything.

agree.gif

Chappy's engine rocks.... pray.gif

Van914
3.0 is a great motor for a 914. I put PMO 40mm carbs on mine and recurved the distrubitor.. The stock gears are fine. I had a short geared box and went back to stock, with 195/65X15 tires. A front cooler is a must if you do any spirited driving. Trouble free and fast.
Good luck and enjoy
Van
Jeffs9146
The CIS injection sits a bit high for our car's engine bay. If you use the Rich Johnson mount to install the engine (recommended) you will need to mount it one inch lower than if you use Webers.

If you modify your FI the way I did everything fits normal without having to lower the engine mount or cut the trunk!

moparrob
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 6 2013, 09:35 AM) *

If you modify your FI the way I did everything fits normal without having to lower the engine mount or cut the trunk!

Details, please!
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(moparrob @ May 6 2013, 09:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 6 2013, 09:35 AM) *

Details, please!

It is your stock FI with a replacement air box mounted sideways and down with a custom intake hose from the AFR to the throttle body!

Here is a photo of the early Volvo 242 AFR mount that I used!
Click to view attachment

You can see the mounts I welded in here. I tapped the intake runners to add the mounting bolts!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Here is a photo of the intake I welded up with the vacuume hole!
Click to view attachment

Here is the cut out intake
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 6 2013, 09:54 AM) *
You can see the mounts I welded in here. I tapped the intake runners to add the mounting bolts!

That looks familiar. biggrin.gif

I really like the way this all turned out. You have to give me a ride one of these days.
driving.gif
Jeffs9146
Yea, thanks for all the help Andy!!

Compaired to your car mine is a slugggggggg but it is plenty fun for me!!!
montoya 73 2.0
I agree, looks good!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.