Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 in LeMons race at Eagle Canyon
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
old914dog
Happened accidently onto the 24 hours of LeMONS race at Eagle canyon. A 914 entered by a group from Austin, TX, teamgravy.com. Car was very stock! Single weber carb, 5.5" steelies, small oil cooler, incredible roll cage and Wonder bread on the sides. Here are the pics.
old914dog

Click to view attachment
old914dog
second pic
r_towle
If the rules still apply of a 500 dollar buy it now price under protest, I would go to the race and buy that car.
Porsche930dude
if there is one way to disguise a porsche its to make it look like a nascar. wow..
teamgravy
Wow, small world... Mike is it?

This is Daryl from Teamgravy Racing. We spoke yesterday at the race. Someone forwarded me your post today...

We had a blast. Our Team ended winning the Index_of_Effluency award for the weekend. ( IOE )

The 914 did 258 laps total over 14 hours of racing with a fastest time of 2:39. We purchased the car for $600 locally as a yard art/almost running not tagged in 13 years, swiss cheese floor, 1.8 conversion with 50K on the speedo). Sold the tail lights on here for $100.

We have some experience with air-cooled motors as we race a Class 12 race car/buggy in off road racing here in Texas.

As for the $500 claim rule, that can only be invoked by LeMons officials. This car was the effort of myself and my race partner John efforts over the past 4 months. About 600 hours of work went into this car but outside of the mentioned small oil cooler for $50, we bought some seals, CV boots, and safety equipment and stayed true to the spirit of LeMons and didn't spend money on upgrades to make the car quicker. That's pretty obvious when you hear we got beat by a Jeep pickup by about 12 laps over the 14 hour race.

Hope no one is too offended we dressed up a 14 to look like a nas-crap-car. We had a blast for sure and planning more races ahead for the old girl.

-Daryl
Teamgravy Racing
jim_hoyland
Congratulations beerchug.gif Good to see another 914 hit the race circuit; the Nas-car look is terrific too !
mepstein
smilie_pokal.gif
KELTY360
smilie_pokal.gif True to the spirit of the 914 you have jackstands on display...and they're mismatched!
teamgravy
QUOTE(old914dog @ May 5 2013, 06:46 PM) *

Happened accidently onto the 24 hours of LeMONS race at Eagle canyon. A 914 entered by a group from Austin, TX, teamgravy.com. Car was very stock! Single weber carb, 5.5" steelies, small oil cooler, incredible roll cage and Wonder bread on the sides. Here are the pics.
old914dog

Also forgot to mention, the cage builder is Loren De Leon (http://www.facebook.com/loren.deleon.18) or Zraceworks (http://www.facebook.com/pages/ZRaceworks/2...1305347?fref=ts). He is an great fabricator and designed and built the cage for our 914 race/track car. LeMons is known for strict rules around safety and Loren did incredible work on this car.
VaccaRabite
Do they still destroy one car in the middle of the race?
If they buy your car for $500 do they also pay you for all the safety stuff that is not covered in the $500 rule? These are things I think about.

Zach
ThePaintedMan
Cool to see another LeMons/Chumpcar nut here. I was very apprehensive about the uninstigated destruction of cars rule, as Zach mentioned, so we decided to go the Chumpcar route. Your car looks great though - Ricky Bobby would be very proud. Can't wait to hear more about your racing efforts in the future.
rnellums
I just got done doing a Chumpcar at Road America. It was a blast, although I was in a CRX, not a 914. Good luck! It would be fun to see more more photos of the car in action!
pete000
Did it finish?
FourBlades

Nice work guys! smilie_pokal.gif

Your car looks good and I like the joke stickers like JUGS!

That is what these series are all about, racing cheap and having fun.

Keep it going and keep the pictures coming.

John
teamgravy
QUOTE(pete000 @ May 6 2013, 04:58 PM) *

Did it finish?

Yes the car finished the race in 2nd position in the class it ran and 27th position overall (out of 68 entries). We ran 258 laps over 14 hours of racing. We only stopped for fuel and driver changes (after 2 straight hours in the car, my brain was ready for a break).

Thanks all!

Lots more pictures and videos being posted on our facebook page. Friend us there for more team updates and I'll come back and post as I can.

We have a list of parts for sale if your in need of something and/or want to help our $500 racing budget. Everything we sell can go back into making the car quicker/more reliable. The next race for us will be a true 24 hour race this fall in Houston. We are debating a motor swap to something liquid cooled but would like to remain true to the air-cooled and show everyone they can endurance race a 14 with an type 4 motor.

Parts listing:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=202397&hl=
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.