Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hazard/Turn signal relay ticking softly?Left side is out now..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
speed metal army
smile.gif Sorta odd..Any ideas?I can hear it ticking away with no signals or hazards on.
More to the puzzle:Occaisionally when I signal left(and left only) it blows the associated fuse instantly. Could the relay be the cause?Or some issue inside the column?
Thanks in advance!
ruby914
Mine too, for the longest time, but not blowing any fuses.
popcorn[1].gif
type47
handbrake switch? The little push switch that the handbrake lever is supposed to push on to turn to warning light off. But then again, you say no warning light. Still, you might check that the lever is aligned OK on the switch; easy 1 minute task...
SUNAB914
Brake master cylinder needs to be reset.
DBCooper
Or you have a bad ground somewhere in the car and through that relay is the path that current has found to ground. Not a light circuit, just a faint current to ground.
rfinegan
+1 on check the brake circuit. Mime did this after replacing a brake line... reset switch took care of it

-Robert

QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ May 6 2013, 04:23 AM) *

speed metal army
Not the reset switch.... idea.gif
ruby914
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ May 6 2013, 05:23 AM) *

QUOTE(speed metal army @ May 6 2013, 07:18 AM) *

Not the reset switch.... idea.gif

Reset? Switch? Hua confused24.gif
speed metal army
I found this piece o crap in the relay socket.Pulled a used one out of one of my parts heaps,and voila! No soft ticking,and no fuses blown when signaling.At least so far!
I will go for a rip tonight and signal like mad to see if im in the clear.
Click to view attachment
One of the spades is missing.Think its the culprit?
bembry
QUOTE(ruby914 @ May 5 2013, 08:54 PM) *

Mine too, for the longest time, but not blowing any fuses.
popcorn[1].gif

Mine likes to make faint blinky noises too.

(It's not the brake light, and doesn't need reset. I've had that too. Totally different 914ism here. blink.gif )
914Sixer
LOOK at the flasher. It says for LED.
speed metal army
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 7 2013, 07:17 PM) *

LOOK at the flasher. It says for LED.

Thanks.Got that.I pulled it,never said I installed it. bootyshake.gif
speed metal army
Ok,so after installing the proper relay,it worked for a bit(No soft ticking anymore)
then popped the fuse again. I was playing with the signal bucket(Front) and heard the fuse pop.The connector on the back of the signal bucket looked pretty gruesome,so I swapped in another.
Lights now signal,except the side marker is now dead. biggrin.gif
The bulb is good on the side marker. I also noticed that the driving lights(driving lights I mean the ones in the tail and markers) don't work on that side either now. confused24.gif (front or tail,when the headlight switch is out halfway or fully)
Also,you know when you have the stalk left or right when the car is off,the funny euro parking light thing?That function also is gone on this side.
Weird..
So in summary: This is only the drivers side!Pass side is fine across the board.
-Blinkers work minus the side marker.
-Brake lights work as normal
-Headlights are fine
-Driving lights(the ones in the taillights and markers) don't light up front or rear
-Hazards work minus side marker
-Parking light function is gone too.
-Doesn't blow fuses anymore though..
Which wire or wires have I buggered up on the drivers side front and side markers?
Or is it some other problem?
Apologies in advance for my less than vast knowledge of electrical.

PS:Is it possible the new(old from a parts car) Relay shit the bed while I was fooling around blowing fuses?
speed metal army
??????
tomeric914
Make a long ground wire with alligator clips on both end. Sand down a solid but inconspicuous part of the chassis to attach the ground to, then connect the other alligator clip to the ground wire for the offending light. This will help you prove out if the issue is ground related or not.
speed metal army
Ha!I gave up and brought it to a shop...Success!!Weird short behind the dash.Good thing I brought it too.I would never had found it.
Im slowly learning when to give up! biggrin.gif
Gas gauge now works too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.