Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT I need the brains of the group
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
F4i
I want to remove NT from my laptop. It won't budge. I cannot get it to boot off of the cd rom and it dosn't have a floppy. The 98 disc says it isn't in the mood unless in DOS. I cannot restart in dos on NT and the dos window in NT won't let me do much. NO format or fdisk. Any help? Please.
anthony
For format the disc or install another OS you have to be able to boot from a floppy or CD. If you go into the bios you should be able to set the machine to boot from the CD.

The only other thing I can think of is that you could probably do an upgrade install with a windows 2000 or XP disc.
redshift
It will start from a CD.. but NT is NTFS... and you will have to KILL NT..

FDISKIT!

You need a boot CD, with just DOS on it.. smile.gif

cd
D:
D:FDISK
wwwhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrr..

wink.gif

M
swood
Roof test it! ar15.gif
F4i
Ok I'm in. Been a long time since I'v had to fart around. Never even thought to change the bios worked great! For 98 do I want a dos partition? I am at the whrrrrrr part of things with fdisk
ohmy.gif
redshift
smile.gif

Yes DOS partition/partitions...

Remember to make one active, or get caught in a loop made in Hell, by Satan hisself.

M
F4i
QUOTE(swood @ Nov 24 2004, 10:58 PM)
Roof test it! ar15.gif

Its a panasonic toughbook I bought for $200.00 for the garage. Might survive the roof test. biggrin.gif Thanks to you guys my manuals are on disk. It would be nice to have a puter out in the garage. It's a p2 300. If i got a crappy deal let me know.
redshift
How big is the drive?

Dood, it's all relative... if you have a useful tool for 200... well YEEEHAW!

The only thing you will miss later is an ethernet port... for tuning neato injection, etc...

M
hargray2
Did it prompt you and ask if you wanted the DOS partition?
hargray2
nevermind
rolleyes.gif
skline
Windows 98 should be a bootable CD, I have several of them. It will come up and ask if you want to boot to CD, then it will prompt you to start setup from CD or boot with CD rom support or without it. Boot with it. Then type fdisk and tell it to treat NTFS as a large disk. Then delete non dos partition. Then recreate the partition in FAT32, reboot. Then once its done booting up, go to the CD drive, probably D. Then type cd win98. Then type format C: /s enter. I may have missed a few steps on that as it has been awhile since I had to do that. Give it a shot, otherwise, do try the roof test. biggrin.gif
skline
Sounds like you are already half way there, disregard what I said, I type too slow.
redshift
We are not men, we are geek.

smilie_pokal.gif

M
F4i
smile.gif 3 gig. Yes it prompted me for the dos partition. thanks. Oh for the motorcyclists out there I can tune my powercommander now.
swood
One time we roof tested the microwave. I've never seen so many cacaroaches in my life. I only knew of the one that was smashed under the plastic that covered the clock on it.

icon8.gif
anthony
But why install Win98?? I'd much rather have NT4 as an OS or preferable Windows 2000.
swood
QUOTE(anthony @ Nov 24 2004, 10:10 PM)
But why install Win98?? I'd much rather have NT4 as an OS or preferable Windows 2000.

huh?? NT isn't compatible with USB and all that rot. Win2K is guud in my house. NT at my office blows chunks. barf.gif
redshift
uhoh.... here we go..

biggrin.gif

Anyone have an Apple? I have an Apple, it's got one ugly button, and it hides all the broken stuff, so you can't fix it.

OSX doesn't support 100Gb drives yet... huh.gif laugh.gif

M
F4i
That is why. I have a licensed copy of 98 and want to use the usb for the camera.
F4i
Oh I don't type very fast. I cut the tendons on my right hand and honestly never did learn to type properly. So you guys get out a paragraph in what it takes me to get out a sentance.
swood
QUOTE(redshift @ Nov 24 2004, 10:12 PM)
uhoh.... here we go..

biggrin.gif

Anyone have an Apple? I have an Apple, it's got one ugly button, and it hides all the broken stuff, so you can't fix it.

OSX doesn't support 100Gb drives yet... huh.gif laugh.gif

M

But one a day keeps the DR away. rolleyes.gif
F4i
smilie_pokal.gif I should have come here first. I was f-ing around with this all night. ten min. with help from you guys and I have halfway formatted the hard drive. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
redshift
It's a riddle, wrapped in enigma, hidden behind something you didn't put up in the shop...

m
SirAndy
QUOTE(swood @ Nov 24 2004, 10:12 PM)
NT isn't compatible with USB and all that rot.

that would be Win95 ...

NT 4, Servicepack 3 or higher will do just fine.
in fact, i am still running a few servers on NT 4 (SP 6).
and yes, it does recognize my USB ports ...

type.gif Andy

PS: for a schlepptop i would go Win2000 or even XP ...
morgan
MY apple has 120 hard drive and 250 hard drive and I run panther
It just a G4

JM wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.