Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Netherlands Scam to Buy My 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silver six
I was recently the target of a scam, apparently originating in Holland, involving the purchase of my 914-6 3.2. I was advertising the car for $20.5 and received an email from an interested buyer asking me what price I would sell the car for. It was pretty obviously a scam for a lot of reasons so I jacked up the price of the car to some ridiculous amount in order to test their sincerety. Even at the jacked up price the buyer did not even blink. And he still wanted to buy the car immediately, sight unseen. Clearly a scam.

In any event you can read the email exchange yourself. The email is pasted below in reverse chronological order. So you have to go down to the bottom and read the email from the bottom up (from oldest e-mail to the most recent). By reading bottom, up, you'll see what the so-called buyer wrote (his name is supposedly "Jarvis Martin") and then you'll see my response above it.

Enjoy, and watch out for those too-good-to-be-true buyers.

Douglas

Date: November 10, 2004 5:44:48 PM PST
To: Jarvis Martin
Cc: Joe Walling
Subject: Re: payment method

Jarvis

So if I understand your current offer, I would write your Dutch shipper a check for $3500 and then and only then will your shipper pick up my car. And then after this has occurred you will finally be able to pay me through a third party check on a private account emanating from a foreign country overseas. This is an interesting offer. But I have a counteroffer: how about I give you the bird, and in exchange you will make sweet love to yourself. You are in Holland, which is north east of me. I am giving you the bird in that direction right now. I want you to understand this is a real offer so I have gone ahead and given you the bird upfront. I know you cannot see it, but I promise I am giving you the bird.

Please let me know when you have made good on your side of the deal.

Douglas

On Nov 10, 2004, at 3:22 PM, Jarvis Martin wrote:

thank you once more for you mail,it is not possible for him to write the cheque in two places and morover my client have nothing to do with my shipping agent who will come and pick it up from you.i want you to understand that the money will be writing on one cheque.

Tell me if you are ready for this transaction of the car and that you will send my shipper's money to him which is $3,500 then the cheque will be send to you Also tell me if you agree with this.Thanks

Do you Yahoo!?
Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page. www.yahoo.com

Date: November 10, 2004 10:59:12 AM PST
Cc: Joe Walling

Jarvis,

Tell the client to write me two checks, one for $27,000 and one for $3,500. I'll deposit the $27,000 check and I will sign the $3,500 check over to your shipper directly. You don't want me writing my own personal check to your shipper anyway. After all, with my credit, the check might bounce. Or worse. It might explode!

Awaiting your prompt payment.

Douglas

On Nov 10, 2004, at 8:35 AM, Jarvis Martin wrote:

Thank you for your mail my friend.On the last mail to sent to me you made metion that i should send you only $27,000 and not $30,500.

Now i want you to understand that the payment is not going to be made by me like i most have told you in my privious mail.I have a  client in the u.k want to pay me by cashier cheque and i have discuse that with him and he will be sending the cheque to you direct,writing on the cheque is $30,500 and i also told you in my privious mail that the shipper money is also included in the cheque which is $3,500.with this little explanation of mine i hope you understand now why you have to send the shipper's money as soon as the cheque gets to you and that money as been set aside of the shipping.

I want you to reply me with immidiate responce if you accept my terms and conditions.Thanks

Do you Yahoo!?

Date: November 9, 2004 8:06:54 PM PST

Send the check to

Douglas Robbins
c/o Dr. Harvard Robbins
340 Eureka Dr.
Pacifica, California 94044

But you should send me only the $27,000, not $30,500. You should pay your shipper directly. I will not be paying your shipper, and I will only release the car after your check clears.

It's a pleasure doing business with you,

Douglas

On Nov 9, 2004, at 3:20 PM, Jarvis Martin wrote:

Dear Douglas Robbins,

I got your mail and i'm happy that you replyed me.And as the matter of fact i'm very intrested in buying the 1970 Porsche 914-6 which is $27,000.
I want you to belive that this is real and you can have my contact if you want:
457 wemblin avenue,
rock city.84520
Holand. 

inrespect of the 1970 Porsche 914-6 i want you to know now that the shipping will be made by my shipper who will come and pick it up from you. And  you do not need to worry about the shipping.He his a very good shipper who as been working with me for a very long time.

I want you to be well informed that the payment will be made by my client from U.K who want to pay me by a cashier check from the contract we had,writing on the check that will be send to you,is  $30.500 that is the check is having an excess of $3.500 which has been set aside for my shipper who will come and pick it up from you. But due to the delay in  my country to clear the money from my bank,he will send the check to you direct.As soon as the check gets to you,i will urge you to send the $3.500 for the shipper so that he can start documentations on the shipping of the 1970 Porsche 914-6 .

I will urge you to send your contact informations where the check will be send to and your phone number.thanks

Do you Yahoo!?

Date: November 9, 2004 12:44:49 PM PST
Subject: Re: intrested:1970 Porsche 914-6

Your offer is accepted. The price is $27,000. Call me to discuss the car.

Douglas

On Nov 8, 2004, at 6:35 PM, Jarvis Martin wrote:

Hello,

i saw your advert via the internet and i am interested in the purchase of your 1970 Porsche 914-6 Turbo i am a business man in holland who is into importation, i have a local shipper that takes care of my shipping so shipping is no problem, as soon as the transaction is completed my shipper will come to pick it up.my only request is if you will accept a cashier check, so if this is ok by you, kindly let me know your last price offer via email and forward me your phone number.expecting your urgent response

Thanks

Do you Yahoo!?
Gustl
I would say that's a nice try lol2.gif

Please keep posting news to this deal pray.gif it's pretty amusing laugh.gif

Gustl
bwilless
I've had this happen to me a few times. I usually respond back with a fake mailing address

FBI Headquarters
6969 Justice Way
Quantico, VA 22093

I never hear from them again.
mack914
If he knows this shipper so well, why doesn't he deal directly with him?
Randal
Can't believe this guy is still playing this game.

When I read your posts it was immediately apparent that Jarvis (new name) was the person who tried to buy my Fuchs in 2003, same scheme, writing style and English.

It is tempting to think of the worst insult one can and blast him, but maybe that isn't so smart, after what happened over there recently.

No way this guy is Dutch.
Joe Bob
Send Ya-ROOOON and Cousin Guido over and teach him about the old American game of kneecapping ......
Mr.C
Yep this guy contacted me before too. He was willing to pay $6,000 for a junk VW truck. Of course shipping was the same deal.
anthony
Douglas, did the ebay sale on your car go through?
silver six
Yep. Car sold to a very nice Austrian guy. Apparently, older Porsches and older cars in general command top prices in Europe. And if they can get around the VAT (value added tax) then importers can make some money by shipping cars from US to Europe.

Thanks to Brad, by the way, for all his help!

Douglas
anthony
Especially now that 1 Euro buys about 1.30 Dollars.
Jeroen
That's a scam alright... no doubt about it.

Why don't you ask him to mail you the cheque and his shipper can pick up the car after it's been cleared.
Then tell him you will give the shipper another cheque for the remaining amount when comes to collect the car lol2.gif

This guy isn't dutch. That's a US address (or at least looks like it)
That doesn't look like anything we have in the Netherlands
(unless you think we have English names for our cities biggrin.gif)
And Holland is spelled with 2 L's

cheers,

Jeroen
GWN7
The 84520 zip is for East Carbon, UT and Mapquest says there are 9 matches for Rock City. biggrin.gif
Maltese Falcon
Douglas, that was a FINE car ! aktion035.gif What will you be driving now for kix ?
redshift
heheh I LOVED your last response.. would have been my first response...

smile.gif

M
rick 918-S
Same thing happened on my wifes MGA. I told the guy I would only sell after he personally inspected the vehicle and brought the cold hard stuff. finger.gif happy11.gif

Great job at stringing him along Doug! My hats off to you. aktion035.gif
Rhodes71/914
Must have gotten more than 10 of those type of offers when trying to sell an old VW. I was already aware of them when I placed my ad.
silver six
Falcon,

Unfortunatley I can't afford a fun car anymore. So I'm driving this car around (in red). Maybe the Porsche club will let me auto cross it.

Douglas
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.