Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ok advice on starting an old motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
ok guys, I need help...I want to wake up the neighbors. I fixed my whole starter problem smile.gif . Engine is in, everything is plugged, I got fuel going, all the good shit. I want to start her...I turned her over a couple of times...nothing...no burbles nada... Moved the dizzy a bit to see if I get any response...Nothing....So I move the plugs two slots over to see if it is possibly one eighty out....No difference, in fact, the engine pauses every two seconds when I turn it over. So I dont think that is the issue...Any other thoughts or ideas...could the engine possibly be flooded? too much fuel? Should I disconnect the fuel pump from the coil and try again for a little while...See if it will fire without flooding it, then reconnect the pump before it dies...Any ideas...Anyone out there? Help me....I am soo close... smile.gif
DrifterJay
bump biggrin.gif
bump2 sad.gif
ChrisReale
Do you have spark? Double check that the plug wires are hooked up correctly and the dizzy is not 180 out. Pull a plug and see how wet it is...
ChrisReale
Is this a carbed motor?
GWN7
Start at the basics...check for spark at the coil, then at the plugs. If you have all 3 (spark at coil, spark at plugs and gas) then it's timing....if not start tracing back to see what's not working.
scotty914
give some good old fashoned starter fluid a try, it can narrow down your problems.
DrifterJay
ok well now she is burping out the backend....and I sprayed a little wd40 in each of the velocity stacks and was rewarded with a light pyrotechnical show...So yes, there is spark...and I am watching the fuel dump into the manifolds...So I have it all...ran some wires into the engine bay enabling me to turn the engine over while playing with the dizzy and linkage....still no luck....just more burbles and sneezes... <_<
skline
Its a timing issue, Pull the cap of the distributor, turn the enging over till its on TDC, remember where the rotor should be facing, towards number one cyclinder, make sure the piston is at the top by pulling the plug and use a small screwdriver to see if you can feel the top of the piston. The firing order is 1432 and make sure your wires are right. If all that checks out right, check to make sure both valves are closed on #1. Keep in mind, that was an FI engine and it has a FI cam in it. Your carbs may be a little rich for it so dont give it any gas when you try to start it or very little. Move the distributor in very samll increments. If it pauses while trying to start it, the the timing is way out. It should turn smooth.
MXMARK
Drifter I have a timing light and I am in Riverside. Did you get it started? Let me know. Mark
Jake Raby
If it has a pause it sounds like the timing is too advanced, or the firing order is out like mentioned above..

I would get the engine to true TDC by removing the valve cover on the #1 side and rotating the engine clockwise till the intake valve opens all the way and then closes completely. Continue rotating the engine clockwise till the timing mark comes up and you are on #1 TDC.. Then pop off the dizzy cap and rotate the dizzy till you are on a terminal on the cap that is being pointed to by the rotor.... That is where the #1 plug wire needs to be, then clockwise from there the order is 4-3-2

That will get you very close, as soon as it fires up put a timing light on it...

ensure that there is no dead, old gas in the tank or you are asking for a seized intake valve and gummed up fuel system- it don't play!
Aaron Cox
any luck???
DrifterJay
just woke up.....heading to the garage....ahh the smell of pumpkin pancakes....
DrifterJay
engine was one eighty out....fired her up...forgot to put a valve cover on...about a half quart of oil on the ground and the heat exchangers.... biggrin.gif but I dont care...the bitch runs....need to go smoke....damnit Thanksgiving is getting in the way...lol...could be driving in two hours....axles not hooked up, shift linkage not in...and etc....well tonight maybe I will wake the neighbors when I get back.... aktion035.gif
MXMARK
Go Jared Go!!!!!!!!!!!! Mark
qa1142
Nice, we got snow, wish it was warm here.
Aaron Cox
bring it by later if you want! or...see you on sat wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.