Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car won't start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
raw1298
I have been starting my car and driving in and out of the garage for about two years with no problems. Now I turn the key and nothing. Could the starter just quit like that? I have a battery tender on it so there is plenty of juice. Any ideas?
7TPorsh
fuses?
xperu
QUOTE(raw1298 @ May 7 2013, 09:22 AM) *

I have been starting my car and driving in and out of the garage for about two years with no problems. Now I turn the key and nothing. Could the starter just quit like that? I have a battery tender on it so there is plenty of juice. Any ideas?

Check all your grounding points and clean them. Mike
raw1298
I'll check that again. The solenoid clicks one time, and itislike the starter won't turn.
ericoneal
i had this exact problem last month. Have a look at this thread, maybe it will help...

starting issues

Turns out there was a relay on there that was fried. Since I bypassed that, my car has been starting better than ever. Do the screwdriver trick to see if your started is still good.
raw1298
I have one of those relays on mine. I will check that out. Thanks for the info.
rgolia
How about the seat belt bypass wire under the passenger seat.
SirAndy
QUOTE(raw1298 @ May 7 2013, 08:29 AM) *
I have one of those relays on mine. I will check that out.

Since those relays are usually added as a band-aid for a failing starter, even if it turns out to be the relay, you might want to look into getting a new or refurbished starter.
shades.gif
7TPorsh
does the car bump start and run?
raw1298
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 7 2013, 10:38 AM) *

QUOTE(raw1298 @ May 7 2013, 08:29 AM) *
I have one of those relays on mine. I will check that out.

Since those relays are usually added as a band-aid for a failing starter, even if it turns out to be the relay, you might want to look into getting a new or refurbished starter.
shades.gif

I will most likely replace the starter before I put it on the road, so I might as well do it now. Any recomendations on where to get one?
TheCabinetmaker
Anywhere but your flaps. Mexican rebuilt crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I take all my starters and alternators to a local independent rebuilder. Search for one in your area.
Jon H.
Give your battery terminals a little twist by hand and see it starts. If does then clean your terminals.

Jon
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Jon H. @ May 8 2013, 02:48 PM) *

Give your battery terminals a little twist by hand and see it starts. If does then clean your terminals.

Jon

Then tighten it, cause it shouldn't move.
raw1298
Terminals are very clean. I am assuming it is a combination of relay and bad starter. The gear connects with flywheel but starter motor won't turn. Will have to wait until Saturday to check further.
raw1298
Thanks for all the help!!
raw1298
Found time today to get under the car and check it out. I had a bad connector on the solenoid. Crimped on a new one and it fired on first try like before. Now to finish this project!!
Rand
QUOTE(raw1298 @ May 19 2013, 12:41 PM) *

Found time today to get under the car and check it out. I had a bad connector on the solenoid. Crimped on a new one and it fired on first try like before. Now to finish this project!!

Yay, another vote for doing the right thing instead of promoting the stupd starter relay band aid.
raw1298
I will still replace the starter before putting it on the road. The one that is on it I got at a swap meet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.