Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom Exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kaduku
Just wondering if someone has done this. I am still looking for the perfect exhaust note, I know, good luck right.

I have an exhaust that looks identical to an OEM for a 1.7/1.8. The exhaust tip did not match up and my muffler guy had to do his magic.

It appears to be from a VW bus. I was told they are the same but the 914 version had the 914 serial numbers. I still wonder if there is a difference in sound. The one installed in my car is quiet but still has that VW sound to it.

I like the sound of the Triad, but based on the YouTube videos, they still are a bit too loud for my taste.

Is there an exhaust out there for a 1.7/1.8 that has that sweet soft rumble sound like my MGBs had??? If not, would a custom exhaust create that sound for me?

913B
QUOTE(Kaduku @ May 7 2013, 10:14 AM) *

Just wondering if someone has done this. I am still looking for the perfect exhaust note, I know, good luck right.

I have an exhaust that looks identical to an OEM for a 1.7/1.8. The exhaust tip did not match up and my muffler guy had to do his magic.

It appears to be from a VW bus. I was told they are the same but the 914 version had the 914 serial numbers. I still wonder if there is a difference in sound. The one installed in my car is quiet but still has that VW sound to it.

I like the sound of the Triad, but based on the YouTube videos, they still are a bit too loud for my taste.

Is there an exhaust out there for a 1.7/1.8 that has that sweet soft rumble sound like my MGBs had??? If not, would a custom exhaust create that sound for me?

I think I am in the same boat. Did the tip point downwards toward the floor. Yeah it was kinda loud too to my liking. I agree with you I think our mufflers are for a bus.
tracks914
I took an old bus muffler, cut it in half, drilled out the baffles with bigger holes and rewelded a SS shell on it with a bigger outlet and an oval tip. It sounded much better than the old van muffler.
vw505
Has anyone tried the mufflers from vintage speed. They have good reviews in the VW community.
Kaduku
QUOTE(tracks914 @ May 7 2013, 12:50 PM) *

I took an old bus muffler, cut it in half, drilled out the baffles with bigger holes and rewelded a SS shell on it with a bigger outlet and an oval tip. It sounded much better than the old van muffler.

Very cool! I don't think I have that kind of skills. My muffler would probably charge me an arm and a leg to do that .
Kaduku
QUOTE(vw505 @ May 7 2013, 01:25 PM) *

Has anyone tried the mufflers from vintage speed. They have good reviews in the VW community.

Now this looks promising but expensive. I looked at their website and a few YouTube videos and they sound awesome!!!!!!!!!!

vw505
They are running about 500 dollers. I like the Pee shooter one , I think it would look good on a teener.
Kaduku
QUOTE(vw505 @ May 7 2013, 03:09 PM) *

They are running about 500 dollers. I like the Pee shooter one , I think it would look good on a teener.

They sound as loud as the Triad maybe even louder, though that bug doing a drive by sounded pretty good. And at 500-600 bucks might as well buy a Triad.

vw505
I like how they are made of stainless steel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.