Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Delay in headlights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
They go up, but there is a delay of between about 2-10 seconds before the lights come on...no other issues. Might even be temperature related in that the delay seems longer the colder it gets. Any ideas?

The headlight motor relays only control the motors right? There doesn't seem to be any problem there, its just the lights don't light up right away.

Hep me hep me...

confused24.gif
ClayPerrine
The headlight motor circuit has absolutely nothing to do with the headlights themselves. They will come on even if the motors never come up.

Check your headlight switch, and the high beam relay. Both could have problems that would delay the headlights coming on.
davep
Sounds like a relay problem, but it might be dirty switch contacts. Try replacing the relays first.
Gustl
Other possibility would be corrosion at any contact within the headlight circuit.
I'd check the contacts at the back side from the fuse panel as well as the bulb sockets ...

Gustl
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 25 2004, 08:09 AM)
Sounds like a relay problem

agree.gif but the relay for the light is under the dash!

the 2 relays in the front trunk are for the motor only ...
cool.gif Andy
hargray2
Replace the relay under the dash and clean the contacts in the relay connector. The lights should come on instantly and then pop up.
94teener
The headlight switch contact pin 56 is by far the most likely contact to intermitantly fail or burn out. Make a short, temporary jumper wire to connect from pin 56 to pin 56K. If the lights come on instantly when you pull the headlight switch on, then make that jumper permanent.

Phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.