Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's this noise?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newto914s
I posted last night thinking I had a dropped valve seal. I recorded the sound I was hearing, the intermitant scrap/drag sound, and about 5 seconds after I shut off the recorder their was a pop and the engine stalled. Now it won't start(it cranks really slow)
Help!!!

I can't up load itthe file, so e-mail me if you want to hear it. I'll send it to you. newto914s@yahoo.com
Joe Bob
Pull valve covers and look for loose rockers THEN....do a compression check....you may have dropped a vlave seat. Continual cranking with a dropped seat will chinger up the cylnder if the seat or top of the piston is hitting the valve....

a loose rocker will indicate the seat failure....zero compression....IF the rockers are all tight...can show a "slight" valve problem...either way it's tear down time if the rocker is loose and no compression...
newto914s
here goes. I uploaded it to some free web hosting site, and saved the file as a jpg. It is a wav file though. Your media player should be able to figure that out. If not change the extention back. Good luck

http://sam2.3h.com/images/engine_noise_3wav.jpg

Thanks a ton Curt. He listened to it and thinks it's a seized piston. I tried and can't turn the engine by hand(one wheel jacked up, car in gear, rotating the wheel)
Aaron Cox
sounds VERY BAD!!! sad.gif ohmy.gif
newto914s
How'd you get it to work aaron. I it's not working and I just put it up. This is pissing me off, but what should I expect from free.
Just e-mail me. I'll send it right off, till I figure this web hosting out.
newto914s
Thank god for yahoo. Thankwas so much easier.

http://www.geocities.com/newto914s/enginenoise.wav

have a listen, oh and happy turkey day to all.
Aaron Cox
i clicked the link...saved it to my com. then played it with media player..... and then the Noise ™ made me jump
newto914s
I think I'm going to pull the engine out. I'm pritty sure it's officialy junk.
Any got a spare 2 liter laying around, I think I'm in the market?
xsboost90
hit me up, very local..i have one for sale runs very strong....ill even make you a deal on it.. wink.gif
newto914s
IT WASN'T THE ENGINE!!!! lol2.gif
It was the altenator. Somehow it Froze and was binding up the whole operation. We disconnected the belt and the car started right up. Has this ever happened to anyone else.
TheCabinetmaker
smilie_pokal.gif way to go. sometimes the best advice is just to ignore all the "good" advice and keep looking. smile.gif beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.