Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: points melting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MarkG
What might be the cause of the points in my '76 2.0 burning up in less than 10 minutes of running? And I don't mean ptting, I'm talking 3 Mile Island meltdown with points arm actually turning blue from heat.

Is it possible that this is happening due to points being closed too long while doing static timming? I've gone through 2 sets of points in an hour......

History: New FI trigger points, new breaker plate w/points, new NGK BP6ES plugs, condensor, cap, rotor, coil and wires (Jacobs). Also has new TB, TPS, CHT, MPS, hoses, fuel preasure regulator, injectors, all harness connectors cleaned and treated with Stabilant-22 (as were all fuses, fuse boxes and relays).

Car runs great for a few minutes then starts to have wandering idle and dies. In each case of death, the points either closed up or burned up, so I believe my 'no running' issue may now be narrowed down to a distributor/ignition probelm.

I'm not gonna let this car beat me!!! Any suggestions as to premayure point failure appreciated.....and it might br as simple as the extended amounr of time I have the coil powered up durring timing attempts......

Thanks!
morgan
Do not use points no more . Change to pointless , All older british cars at shop have the points removed. They just don't last . Buy the way what the volts at the points, Could be too high
JM
Sammy
Condensor. A bad one will burn points big time.
Joe Bob
yup...what he said...you should always replace it when doing points...just like a filter and oil...

Hey Sammy did ya get my mail on the turbo?
Mark Henry
Could also be the coil...is it an aftermarket or the bosch blue coil?

A 40,000 to 60,000v aftermarket coil will just smoke the points.
DJsRepS
I used an MSD for eletronic MSD system, instructions said if used on point system use .8ohm ballast resistor. So I tried it without and did not make it to the end of the street. Had to file and reset the points and use the old coil to get it going again.
Brando
Also connecting the condensor to the wrong coil terminal will fry them.

Getting straight 12v to the points will turn them extra crispy in no time at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.