Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Father and son project, time well spent.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
Most of you may remember the green car that started this addiction. After acquiring the red one, I decided to give my 16 year old whom has been wrenching with me for the past 2 plus years.
As he will turn 16, on 9/14 of this year, he will be able to drive. We have decided to take the car back to fuel injection.
A very generous member here, donated a full system, including Ecu, trotle body, mps, distributor to name a few.

I handed him the responsibility to have everything mounted and get the car running under my instructions as needed.

I am proud to report that so far he's is doing a great job. He removed the carbs, installed the intake runners , now he is routing the fuel lines.

I will let him take over this thread and post progress pics.
JStroud
That's awesome, I did the same thing with my son, before he turned 16 we bought him a Toyota pickup that needed a rebuild. We tore it down together and rebuilt the motor.
He drove it for 4 years until he went in the service, and probably took better care and respected that truck more than any since, it means more when your personally invested like that, and it never hurts being able to work on your own car.

Good for you for teaching him, and good for him wanting to learn. Too many kids these days are more into video games.

Ok now we need pictures, good luck with the progress.

Jeff
rick 918-S
Skills that will take him through life. I will be waiting to see how this turns out. popcorn[1].gif

There are some good photos on where stuff in located here.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=57169
914itis
thanks Rick,

I will print them out for him
Mikey914
Time well spent. I've done this with both my boys.
mepstein
My son has seen me work on my car, pour money into it and not be able to drive it while I'm chasing down problems. He wants a Honda. I don't blame him.
914itis
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 8 2013, 11:50 AM) *

My son has seen me work on my car, pour money into it and not be able to drive it while I'm chasing down problems. He wants a Honda. I don't blame him.

Mark, I need to come down and get that car running right.
mepstein
QUOTE(914itis @ May 8 2013, 12:29 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 8 2013, 11:50 AM) *

Mark, I need to come down and get that car running right.

I think I just did. Thermo time switch wasn't hooked up correctly. (my fault)

You know I love these cars.... They just aren't for everyone.

DBCooper
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 8 2013, 08:42 AM) *

Me too. I gave each an old VW when they got their licenses, with the agreement that I'd buy all the parts they needed and help them if they got stuck, but they'd do all the work. Nothing like the incentive of your own car when you're 16 and are given open horizons. They both built little hot rods, worked night and day, learned how to take a project through from conception to end, problem-solve, both have excellent work ethics and practical intelligence. They may have turned out well anyway, I can't know, but I credit those cars. Probably a more valuable real-life educaton than college. Certainly cheaper.

ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 8 2013, 12:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 8 2013, 08:42 AM) *

Me too. I gave each an old VW when they got their licenses, with the agreement that I'd buy all the parts they needed and help them if they got stuck, but they'd do all the work. Nothing like the incentive of your own car when you're 16 and are given open horizons. They both built little hot rods, worked night and day, learned how to take a project through from conception to end, problem-solve, both have excellent work ethics and practical intelligence. They may have turned out well anyway, I can't know, but I credit those cars. Probably a more valuable real-life educaton than college. Certainly cheaper.

agree.gif Hell, if I hadn't started working on cars in high school, I would have been screwed in college. I broke down all over Tallahassee but I always knew how to get myself home. Even made a couple dollars fixing other students' cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.