Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Line Clip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lsintampa
OK,

I ordered the clips that are said to be used to hold soft line to solid brake line.

Seems like they are spring loaded, but someone explain to me how they are supposed to work, when the end of the soft line can easily slip through the hole on the frame?

Is there a washer to hold the soft line back, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Len

Click to view attachment
Luke M
That clip is for the front brake caliper hard line to the rubber line. It mounts between the strut mount/bracket/tab (which ever you prefer to call it) and above lines. Unless you have an early 914 which also uses them in the rear control arm mount/bracket/tab. Hope this helps. If not I think I have a few pics somewhere.

Luke M
Here's some pics of the rear but you should get how it works on the front from these.
lsintampa
QUOTE(Luke M @ May 8 2013, 04:19 PM) *

Here's some pics of the rear but you should get how it works on the front from these.

Thanks for the pics. The hoses I'm talking about are for the rear. What my problem is the soft hose end is smaller in diameter than the hole on the trailing arm frame, so the clip isn't really putting any pressure on the TA at all, the hose just goes through the hole. So I was wondering if there is a washer on the hose side also?

My old hoses use the c-clip holders, but when I order rear hoses, I just get the ones like in my photo - one end takes a c-clip the other takes the spring clip.

Luke M
QUOTE(lsintampa @ May 8 2013, 01:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ May 8 2013, 04:19 PM) *

Thanks for the pics. The hoses I'm talking about are for the rear. What my problem is the soft hose end is smaller in diameter than the hole on the trailing arm frame, so the clip isn't really putting any pressure on the TA at all, the hose just goes through the hole. So I was wondering if there is a washer on the hose side also?

My old hoses use the c-clip holders, but when I order rear hoses, I just get the ones like in my photo - one end takes a c-clip the other takes the spring clip.

From the sounds of things you have a later car which takes a different soft brake line.
What year is your car? I've owned both early and late 914's. The early cars takes the c clip on the chassis and the spring tab on the rear control arm.
The front is set up the same way. On the late cars they take two c clips at both rubber line mounting points. Again sounds like you got the wrong lines.
I have a set of early & late lines here someplace. I'll see if I can get my hands on them later today. If it helps I can post a pic of what I'm saying.

Pics added..

You can see the difference in the lines from early to late.
Early gets one c clip & one spring tab. The late two c clips at both ends.
jimkelly
early strut has a hole for brake line and late strut has slot.

early uses this 3 sided clip and the hard line nut holds it in place.

late used a U clip.

* ignore that my pic with the 3 sided clip is on a late strut.

lsintampa
Added a washer on the soft side.

Problem solved.

Thanks,

Len
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.