Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Ugrade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Crazy Nomad
What is the best tranny upgrade for a 914 with less than 300? Is the stock tranny worth rebuilding since it is old technology or is it just best for the 914 purest who wants a stock 5 speed with a first gear you can't use?
Britain Smith
QUOTE(Crazy Nomad @ May 8 2013, 12:35 PM) *

What is the best tranny upgrade for a 914 with less than 300? Is the stock tranny worth rebuilding since it is old technology or is it just best for the 914 purest who wants a stock 5 speed with a first gear you can't use?

Depends on budget and the use of the car.

For a street car, you can get away with a properly built 901. For extra reliability and much more money, you can go with a 915. For crazy HP and hard launches, 930 is a good choice.

-Britain
Dr Evil
The 901 is a perfect box for what you want, unless you have some serious tq down low. It can have gears changed (3-5 cheap, 1 and 2 cost big $$). I build them so I am biased, but I know the feel of a well built 901 and it is great bang for your buck.
ellisor3
I have a 3.2 with a 901 and considered other options but when you consider the cost of those options it doesn't make sense. I just replaced my ailing 901 with a rebuilt 901 and you can get all over it in every gear but 1st. The 901 is a little clunky and unrefined compared to newer options, but it only make you more in tune to the driving experience.
Crazy Nomad
Okay, so say you are pushing 300 hp with a Subaru or Chevy engine. The 901 seems a little weak, the 915 is pricey because you have to flip it. The Subaru is a strong tranny and you can get 5 usable gears out of it and a Cable shift for a reasonable price. But what about a Porsche 944 Turbo Transaxle?

Porsche came up with the design of putting the transmission / transaxle at the rear of the car for better weight distribution. Chevy Corvette didn't figure this out until 1997 and still don't have a real transaxle.

If you look at the photo the 944 turbo transmission, which much stronger than 944's, is facing the correct direction and would be stronger than a 901 and a heck up a lot cheaper than a 915. Has anybody ever tried one that you have heard of?
r_towle
How would you bolts it in, bolt it to the motor, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch?

I would love to see a better alternative.
Mark Henry
Pushes the trans too far back. All that custom fab you'd be better off buying a mendeola.

Have you ever seen inside a 930 box?
Jeff Hail
944 = Audi 016 with a couple relocated knobs and dials. It's been done and its a lot of work.

Depending on your HP needs 901, 915, or 930 is still the best choices. 915's are not that much or difficult to flip. While you are in there replace the bearing retainer plate and it will last a long time. Cable shift is cost effective and Wevo shift is cool but extra $
shoguneagle
I have a 3.2 with a 901 Dr Evil build. very happy since the gears were changed to 1st: A; 2nd: F; 3rd: O; 4th: X; 5th: flipped H. Car used entirely for street. Very happy with the 901 and the quality build Doc gave me.

Had a Chev v-8 914 with stock 901; car ran good and the transmission held; do not try burn-outs in 1st gear and the gears were a little off for the 350/300 hp engine; it appears Porsche always build to the highest level of quality and engineering strengths.

Enjoying my Porsche 914.

Steve Hurt
Andyrew
QUOTE(Crazy Nomad @ May 8 2013, 05:15 PM) *

Okay, so say you are pushing 300 hp with a Subaru or Chevy engine. The 901 seems a little weak, the 915 is pricey because you have to flip it. The Subaru is a strong tranny and you can get 5 usable gears out of it and a Cable shift for a reasonable price. But what about a Porsche 944 Turbo Transaxle?

Porsche came up with the design of putting the transmission / transaxle at the rear of the car for better weight distribution. Chevy Corvette didn't figure this out until 1997 and still don't have a real transaxle.

If you look at the photo the 944 turbo transmission, which much stronger than 944's, is facing the correct direction and would be stronger than a 901 and a heck up a lot cheaper than a 915. Has anybody ever tried one that you have heard of?

Biggest question here is what engine are you using.
polo classic
Anyone got any pictures of a 016 (or similar Audi) next to a 901? I have looked a bit on the different mid-engine kit-car forums, but have not found a good resource for info
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 9 2013, 02:06 AM) *

Biggest question here is what engine are you using.

agree.gif Not saying this is you Nomad, but a lot of times these threads get started by guys who say "I'm going to build this or that," but they don't have an engine ready to go or even in mind yet. And then you never hear from them again. I think most people get ahead of themselves when it comes to the transmission. Several racers here have cars that put out upwards of 250+ with a 901 and race them hard. If you race it, chances are you're looking at a rebuild sooner than with a lower HP car, but from what I understand, the 901 is a pretty stout piece for most engines. Pretty sure there are a number of threads about this already.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.