Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 57° "inside" the house,heater won't turn on.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
being the cheapskates that my wife and I are, we've been putting off turning on the heater and have just dealt with the cold by using lots of blankets.....finally this morning I said that's enough, we need to turn on the heater to get the chill out of the house...darn furnace won't kick on headbang.gif

with all the cr@p I have in my garage, it's going to take an hour just to get the furnace to do some troubleshooting......

am I the only one that won't turn on the heater until they see frost on the mirrors in the bathrooms??? smile.gif
Gint
Duh. Open the windows...
Trekkor
Yep, only you! w00t.gif
JeffBowlsby
Did you accidentally turn off the manual shut-off switch? Every furnace has one...it usually looks like a light switch mounted near the furnace. If not, check the fuses...duh...I know you would do that... wink.gif
dmilzoff
There should also be a manual reset button (small red button) either on the burner itself or on the Control mounted on the flue (or both). Press the button(s) to reset and wait 60 seconds.
Make sure ALL furnace wall switches (usually with red cover plates) are in the on position.
anthony
If it's a pilot light problem 9 times out of 10 it's the thermocouple. The thermocouple only costs about $7 at the hardware store and takes 10-15 minutes to install so it's definitely worth trying before calling in a pro for service.
boxstr
Is it gas or electric??
CCLINWARMANDTOASTY
neo914-6
we've been putting off turning on the heater

I can't get my wife to turn OFF the heater... ohmy.gif
Felix
Alison Baker
57 aint cold Mueller
dan10101
Mom says "tough, wear a sweatshirt"....

I just sneek over and turn it on....

Andrew
boxstr
Mike go out and sit in your truck, with the heater on... biggrin.gif
CCLINTELLTHEMDAVELENOXSENTYOU
Alison Baker
Mueller, why dont you get busy on your 914 and that will keep you warm ; also it help take your 914 off of JACKSTANDS !
bongo monkey
57 degrees isn't cold, especially for November. I would be uncomfortably warm at 57 degrees.

You silly Californians... Reminds me of the time I went to Los Angeles in October last year. It was 60 degrees and my family was walking around in shorts, but everyone else had coats and one guy even apologized for the cold weather. huh.gif
davep
We have had a cool year in Canada. My parents have had their furnace on at least once per month. They are located near the Ontario/Manitoba/Minnisota borders. Started to get snow here in Brantford, ON today. We have been very lucky so far.

BTW, pay your utility bills, that always helps. happy11.gif
Who did you PO this time?
jimtab
FIRST, check your thermostat to see if it is working...just remove it and cross the wires if it fires the heater then your t-stat is bad, if it doesn't then go to the thermocouple as someone said. Good luck, remember the Donnor party, eat the fat ones first...HA HA.
GWN7
I wish it was 57 outside right now.... biggrin.gif

My son & I went to Florida a few years ago and rented a convertible. 10 o'clock at night we pull up to a toll booth with the top down and the guy leans out of the booth. He's wearing a parka, wool cap and gloves. Comfort is relative. biggrin.gif

As mentioned, check master shut off switch, then if the pilot is working, replace thermocoupler. Failing that, call the gas repairman.
redshift
Have you checked to make sure the heater hoses haven't blown off, in the engine hole?

laugh.gif

sorry..

M
URY914
Furnace? WTF is that?? biggrin.gif

Paul
neo914-6
remember the Donnor party, eat the fat ones first...HA HA
laugh.gif
sj914
Is it the burner or blower fan that won't kick on?
airsix
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 25 2004, 10:13 AM)
am I the only one that won't turn on the heater until they see frost on the mirrors in the bathrooms??? smile.gif

Nah. Jamie took our daughter and went to see her grandma last month. As soon as they left I turned off the heater and didn't turn it back on until they came home two weeks later. I figured I was either going to be at the office, in the garage, or in bed the whole time they were gone so why heat the house. Knocked about $40 off the power bill last month which just about paid for all the pizza. wink.gif

-Ben M.
davep
So does that prove the girls ARE cold-blooded?

I think Mueller froze up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.