Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's it worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flylarry
I have a 74 2.0 that I've been driving every day for 5 years and has rust in cowl area that is substantial, basic on the right engine bay, not all the way through. Usual rust in the cockpit (I'm a pilot). Almost everything works.

odometer, Hi-beam blue light, red reserve fuel light does not.

Car needs lots! Banged left front fender, banged rear, but drives great.
flylarry
A'm I still a newbie if I've been here since 2005?
Dr Evil
With 13 posts, yes, newbie.

Pics would help your question get answered.
SirAndy
QUOTE(flylarry @ May 8 2013, 05:17 PM) *

A'm I still a newbie if I've been here since 2005?

'Newbie' status does not refer to the length of your membership but rather to the level of participation.

If i recall correctly, one becomes a 'Member' after 50 posts.
shades.gif
flylarry
Pics, I know better, sorry. Pics forthcoming.
tadink
HI Larry -

it's worth what someone else will pay for it....however, in the larger scheme of things, cosmetics sell cars. If you have rust, then the tub is probably not worth saving (I've gone thru 2 tubs to get to this one that is worth keeping, the others were scrapped).

so, now you are down to the value of the bits - the 2.0 engine is worth something, working is good, documentation on compression will help you get the full value from that. If you have done any recent work, so much the better, receipts and documentation will support the value. The side-shifter (assuming) is also worth something - as is whatever else you have added to the car over the years.

Likely as not - this is worth parting out. The sum of the parts will exceed the market value, given the cosmetic issues you have described. It is a pain in the a_s but, in the end, selling the bits may garner you the most value for the car.

as was said at least once before on this site - pictures sell cars (and parts). If you want the greatest return, do the best job of documenting and describing what you've got.

good luck with it all -

how much do you want for the 2.0 engine? lol

cheers

td

mepstein
In the land of 'rust free' 914's - $1-1.5K.

Jmo
Dr Evil
Your value in the West is much lower in the East where rust is a daily part of life sad.gif
siverson
Hello from Oceanside.
flylarry
Here are pics...the good, the bad, the ugly.
flylarry
More pics.
flylarry
QUOTE(flylarry @ May 10 2013, 05:08 PM) *

More pics.

And more...
flylarry
QUOTE(flylarry @ May 8 2013, 05:15 PM) *

I have a 74 2.0 that I've been driving every day for 5 years and has rust in cowl area that is substantial, basic on the right engine bay, not all the way through. Usual rust in the cockpit (I'm a pilot). Almost everything works.

flylarry
QUOTE(flylarry @ May 8 2013, 05:15 PM) *

billh1963
$1500 to $2000 if the engine is excellent
Andyrew
Well its basically a parts car, as that chassis is worth scrap.

I say list it for 2500 and wait a month and take the biggest offer you can get. I think it'll sell around 1500 though.

The seats, wheels and engine are the real sellers.

If it were me, I'd keep it as a driver..
flylarry
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 10 2013, 05:33 PM) *

Well its basically a parts car, as that chassis is worth scrap.

I say list it for 2500 and wait a month and take the biggest offer you can get. I think it'll sell around 1500 though.

The seats, wheels and engine are the real sellers.

If it were me, I'd keep it as a driver..

Thanks, I have another car with all the numbers matching and much less rust that might get the best parts. The engine is very nice running.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.