Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Picts of Trans Cooler Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john rogers
Here's the picts. Note that one of the return lines is not hooked up and that is the one that goes on top of the diff area of the case. It will be put in next week when the tranny gets pulled for inspection/repairs for the upcoming season. The yellow wire is the temp sender and the speedo cable will be pulled when the trans gets pulled.
john rogers
Another
john rogers
Another
john rogers
Another
john rogers
Another
john rogers
Another
john rogers
Last one
J P Stein
On my one and only track day, I reached under the car to feel how warm the trans was gettin'.......there's a mistake I won't make again w00t.gif

That convinced me that track days would lead to an early death of the 901. You have cured that, it would seem. Not pretty, but functional, me thinks.

BTW: Izat' a battery in the trunk? If so, please remove it less you be castigated. cool_shades.gif
sixnotfour
Gotta, a picture of the oil tank underside ? Six or dry sumped Four?
chowtime.gif
nine14cats
Nice pics John.

I'm doing something similar on my 915 WEVO box for my new car that Brad is building. The tranny is over at Jerry Woods' getting the ground up resto.....I decided after spending all that money on the box...it wasn't too much more to do the oil/trans cooler.

I'll post pics when it's together.

Bill P.
john rogers
You are very right Bill, the extra insurance is well worth the effort and cost to help make these old tranny's last longer. If you look closely you can see the filter which is a pretty good idea too to filter out all those little iron particles from the hard shifting. The oil tank was originally on a dry sumped stroker four in the front right side of the engine compt. We moved to to the trunk when the six went in and the suction line is only about 10 inches or so long. I do have to admit the trunk is getting pretty full, but so is the front one with the cell and fire bottle and oil cooler! Patrick like to mount his on the back of the tranny, but since I have to run a muffler sometimes I decided to mount the pump in the trunk as with several other cars I have seen.
nine14cats
Hi John,

It will be interesting how we end up ducting and mounting the cooler. The back of my new race car is all tube frame only the cockpit tub and front section still has a pan. I'll be talking to Rich Walton at JWE next week as we go through the tranny build and I'll have to ask him how he does the mounting.

I'm stealing your pictures and taking them to him!... laugh.gif

Now that you have the 6, any issues with the 901? I didn't have any problems with my pumped 2.7, but with the 3.6 going in I didn't want to take the chance, hence the 915. And then since I'm in there......LSD, new gears, WEVO, oil cooler....yikes! rolleyes.gif

Bill P.
john rogers
I figured the batt location would draw a comment or two. Of course it has been there since 1979, so I guess it is "grandfathered"??!! That is a steel box with a liner it is sitting in. I had to get a new batt box as that last one only lasted 16 years!
rick 918-S
Nice work! smile.gif
maf914
John, Thanks for the photos and the explanations. Nice work.

What keeps the air flowing through the duct? Is there a scoop at the rear fender area or is there a small fan at the cooler?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.