Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: question about oil breather tanks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
naro914
Wondering what everyone is using for their breather catch cans (if you're using one at all)... from your oil tank on a higher compression 6 cylinder?

I used to just have a K&N filter on the fitting from the oil tank, but it kept misting so much oil through it it would leak down into the engine compartment. Plus I now have a longer vent from the transmission since we put the trans cooler on it. i would love to be able to vent them together into a catch can if possible, but don't know which direction to go. i have a few ideas, just curious what others have used.

TIA
pcar916
I modified a backpacker's fuel-bottle... because I had one.

http://www.kayakproshop.com/MSR_FuelBottle...CFUJN4AodQxgAsQ

I also thought about sharing it with the transaxle cooler system but I'd probably have to relocate it from the views shown to the passenger side of the engine compartment, or run the transaxle hose a long way unless I sacrificed some trunk space, which I still use as a trunk. That forced me to want to run them separately. Here's what I did.

1. added a petcock (screwed into an AN fitting) to the bottom of the bottle
2. cut a hole in the side of the bottle (shown) large enough to insert the stock 993 engine oil return fitting. I had that lying about because I replaced it with a -16AN fitting for the return-hose from the oil tank. Any L-shaped pipe would work if it was sized to the whatever hose is used.

Note: That Porsche 993 oil fitting is an L-shaped pipe that was perfect because it directs the oil downward in the bottle (important) and it's flange was easy to epoxy to the bottle.

3. The K&N filter simply sits on top of the bottle and is held there inside a grommet.

Works good and doesn't need much maintenance. I'd run a hose down to the bottom of the car if the rules allowed it. Makes dumping it a lot easier.

Good luck!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Woody
Im running one of these on my /4. Its plastic and very light.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-85400
Van914
The Summit tank is what I used on my 3.0. Works great and easy to drain.
Van914
naro914
thanks guys.
this is all along the lines I was thinking.
SirAndy
QUOTE(naro914 @ May 9 2013, 01:10 PM) *
Wondering what everyone is using for their breather catch cans

Gatorade bottle with a few holes drilled into the top. I put it next to the air filter with the holes pointing that way so any vapors escaping are getting sucked into the intake and burnt.

driving.gif

IPB Image

Randal
I got this one from some guy in LA who welded it. Works perfect.

Click to view attachment

brant
seperate bottles for engine and tranny per rules in our vintage club.
you can buy the holders in different weight (grams) at bike shops

wndsrfr
QUOTE(naro914 @ May 9 2013, 12:10 PM) *

Wondering what everyone is using for their breather catch cans (if you're using one at all)... from your oil tank on a higher compression 6 cylinder?

I used to just have a K&N filter on the fitting from the oil tank, but it kept misting so much oil through it it would leak down into the engine compartment. Plus I now have a longer vent from the transmission since we put the trans cooler on it. i would love to be able to vent them together into a catch can if possible, but don't know which direction to go. i have a few ideas, just curious what others have used.

TIA

Check out this install that Josh Chambers did on Kermee...super professional & clean. Funny thing is...near zero accumulation & I've really hammered it at two DE'S thus far...that says something about how tight the 2.7 is that he built. Thanks Josh!
koozy
Love the bike bottle idea. I'm stealing that one. At the moment I just have a gallon plastic jug zip tied to the suspension reinforcement tubing. I have a nice, vented aluminum breather can sitting in a box but am not using it because I have to open it to see how much has collected. I turned to the jug because its easy to keep an eye on levels and a gallon size because it was the only empty jug in the garage at the time. Mine works but the bike bottles is clever and tidy.
Randal
QUOTE(koozy @ May 12 2013, 11:23 PM) *

Love the bike bottle idea. I'm stealing that one. At the moment I just have a gallon plastic jug zip tied to the suspension reinforcement tubing. I have a nice, vented aluminum breather can sitting in a box but am not using it because I have to open it to see how much has collected. I turned to the jug because its easy to keep an eye on levels and a gallon size because it was the only empty jug in the garage at the time. Mine works but the bike bottles is clever and tidy.

I like the outside tube idea as installled on Kermee. Pretty smart in that you can see if any oil has accumulated. Of course your bike clear water bottle does the same thing, but not as cool. aktion035.gif
Randal
moved
BKLA
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/oil-08-0400/

Click to view attachment

Mounted to right side engine compartment and has drain back into cam cover.
brant
QUOTE(Randal @ May 14 2013, 09:42 AM) *

[I like the outside tube idea as installled on Kermee. Pretty smart in that you can see if any oil has accumulated. Of course your bike clear water bottle does the same thing, but not as cool. aktion035.gif

lighter thou....
Randal
QUOTE(brant @ May 14 2013, 04:35 PM) *

[I like the outside tube idea as installled on Kermee. Pretty smart in that you can see if any oil has accumulated. Of course your bike clear water bottle does the same thing, but not as cool. aktion035.gif

lighter thou....

Ha, your right about that, but don't tell Mike!
koozy
QUOTE(BKLA @ May 14 2013, 03:31 PM) *

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/oil-08-0400/

Click to view attachment

Mounted to right side engine compartment and has drain back into cam cover.

Yea, that's the one I have in the garage.
koozy
QUOTE(Randal @ May 14 2013, 04:51 PM) *

lighter thou....

idea.gif
Randal
QUOTE(koozy @ May 14 2013, 09:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ May 14 2013, 04:51 PM) *

lighter thou....

idea.gif

Do it! Do it!
ww914
Built this one out of 1/8" aluminum. I had the welding done.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
I used the clear bottle for a while, mine was an old diet coke 20 OZ bottle.

Problem I found is that the oil gets really hot, and can sometimes make dealing with that flimsy, and very hot bottle a pita.

I would suggest a simple way to drain it, or have that in mind with 150 degree oil.

Old motor filled mine up each time...so I needed to deal with it frequently, and when hot.

I also found that mounting it higher than the breather system made it fill up less frequently as the oil would drain back as it went from a mist to solid.
When I had it like Andy's down in that hole, it filled up pretty fast.

Just look at the whole system and make sure all the tubes drain towards the breather and back into the motor.
Then you dont have to deal with the bottle to often.

Rich
pcar916
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 23 2013, 01:46 PM) *

Just look at the whole system and make sure all the tubes drain towards the breather and back into the motor.
Then you dont have to deal with the bottle to often.
Rich

agree.gif Once I mounted the bottle high in the engine compartment (pix above) I had far less maintenance. My breather filter is just a smidge under the engine compartment lid.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.