Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radio Removal & Faceplate Change
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
Please direct me to a thread if there is one, thanks.

Otherwise, do I have to remove the dash?
How do I proceed?

Thanks!

Paul
jonferns
What type of radio do you have?
GeorgeRud
If you have an original knob type radio, just pull out the knobs, remove the nuts holding the radio in place, remove the rear support bracket, and disconnect the wires and antenna from the back, and it should come out either underneath the dash, or you can remove the faceplate (held on to the dashboard with double sided tape).

If it's a knob-less DIN type radio (like most modern style radios), you should be able to remove the radio by using the correct removal tools on either side of the radio. You may have to remove a trim ring to access the radio's mounting clips, and the removal tools are generally specific for the brand of radio.
orthobiz
I have a horrible DIN style JVC radio where the CD skips even before the car goes over a bump. Gosh I hope it's not held in with proprietary hardware!

Anyway, I am putting in a Blaupunkt mono with knobs, I want to take out the existing radio and faceplate. I have a faceplate with holes cut out for the "original style" radio.

So the faceplates are held on with double sided tape??

Thanks again,

Paul
Jeffs9146
Any skinny long flat piece of metal slid in the sides after removing the trim ring should free up the "proprietary" clips. They are just a piece of steal that spring in to keep the radio from pulling out. By sliding the metal piece in the sides it holds the spring clip out and you can pull the radio out! beerchug.gif
GeorgeRud
You may want to fabricate another plate to mount behind the dashboard assembly to further reinforce the radio mount. I think the original radios (at least some of them) had some mounting ears on their sides. As none were factory installed, there is some variation between mounts.

Either way, you should be able to mount it quite easily. If you need another dash faceplate, I believe Rennmetal sells them.
Eric_Shea
Paul, you may want to remove the knee pad. A few large Phillips screws and you're done. Most are supported with a strip to a peg in the back of the radio. Yes, the faceplate could/should be double sided tape.
orthobiz
Good idea, I can clean the vents better with the bottom strip out!

Paul
orthobiz
Took out the knee pad. Pried that crummy radio out. It had a plastic faceplate. I'm sure there was an elegant way to slip a little screwdriver here or there but this sucker would not yield. Good thing I hated that evil old CD player because it is useless now!

I need to show before and after pics, when I get a chance.

Paul
orthobiz
Pardon the late night cell phone pics, but I have rigged up a "period correct" radio to fit a standard mounting plate:

IPB Image

I see how the top of the plate underlaps the dash top, thus securing it, but the bottom only abuts the knee pad (which is currently removed) leaving the radio rather unsteady.

I put a mashed up but serviceable DIN box in the original slot which stabilizes the radio a bit but I can still pull the radio out at the bottom.

IPB Image

Deep inside is this C-bracket but it's a bit too shallow to hold my radio (barely grabs the back of the unit).

IPB Image

Another pic of the radio:

IPB Image

So, how does the radio get firmly mounted? It can't be sticky tape, can it?

Paul
orthobiz
Oh, there's a big old screw in the back with a holey strip of metal on the "firewall", guess I could attach it to the back of the radio. Man, as I get older it's harder to crawl in there upside down!

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.