Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Progressive 32-36 single
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ronnie J
Does anyone run a Progressive 32-36 single carb system. It just seems it would be a lot easier to keep tuned. I have a 1.7 without F.I. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Mueller
terrible idea smile.gif

do a search here, you'll find plenty of posts explaining why not a good choice for our type of engines....

BTW, welcome clap56.gif
ChrisReale
You probably could find a full 1.7 D-Jet injection for pretty cheap.
Dr Evil
Your title sounds like a personal ad. cool.gif
Jake Raby
May as well use a windex spray bottle filled with gas to atomize your fuel with one of those pigs!

Duals or nuttin!
Spoke
I have a 1.7L with a single carb like you describe. It runs ok and is relatively simple but it has some limitations. There is a delay when opening the throttle like when coming out of a turn. I think its the long tubes that do that. I'm in the process of tracking down a FI system to replace my carb. Plus cold engine operation during cold weather really sucks but this may still be a choke adjustment for my car.

Spoke
TheCabinetmaker
I know I'm gonna catch hell for this but, they are better than nothing. Nothing won't make your car go. Duals are obviously better, but if it's all ya got, it's all ya got. I've got a few guys who cars had them when they got them. They are not the most effecient, but they work and are relative trouble free. You can probably find a FI system (my first choice) for the price of new duals.

Flame on brothers.
Joe Bob
Lightweight boat anchor....
TC/914
I ran one for years on my 914 with the 1.7 engine in it. Just ran like a top. When I worked (occasionally) at a VW repair shop that specialized in Type IV's most of the installations were on the later 2 liter engines and (I feel that) the carbs performed TERRIBLY ! ! ! The Type IV engine is different from the one on the 914, but it was more the carb than the engine. Maybe good for the smaller engine, although it NEEDS EXTENSIVE TUNING, lousy on the larger one.

Luck,

TC

There's a complete set-up on ebay right now for short money, maybe grab it and play around a little . . .
TheCabinetmaker
TC, I'm not sure I understand your post. 1.7L in a 917?
How is a type IV different than the one in a 914?
TC/914
Oooopppsss!!

My bad typing at work, I just edited the post. (My brain sort of melded the "914" and "1.7" into a wishful thinking sort of mess . . . ) Wouldn't it be beyond WONDERFUL to own a 917?!?

Whenever we checked the compression on an (72 and up Bus VW type IV) engine--standard proceedure, along with fuel and oil pressure whenever a bus came in for repairs--it was lower than that of my 914 (NOT 917). I had always thought that the engine used in the bus was a little de-tuned from that found in the 914 (and 411/412 VW sedans). I had heard that the dish in the bus pistons wasn't in the Porsche pistons. Also, the progressive carbs seem to respond better to a cam which made me think that the grind in a 914 was slightly different than that in a VW Bus/type IV.

I might be wrong, if I am PLEASE let me know since I've been going on the above assumption for almost six years and if it's in error . . . well, I want to know.

Thanks,

TC
Jake Raby
One huge issue is the super long runners and no carb heat.

The long runners create a tuning nightmare and the no heat situation will ice the carb completely on humid cold nights like we have here in the Southeast..

I have had a 914 actually stall from a frozen carb before!
TC/914
YES! I've always wondered about the runners. I'm surprised that the carbs work as good (or at all) as they sometimes do. The original design using the long runners was meant for air alone, wasn't it? The fuel was supplied down stream at the injectors? Considering the work that goes into match porting and smoothing/grinding the dual carb intakes for Type IV and even Type I engines, it seems sort of "don't bother, it'll work good enough" to just run with metal tubes connected to a collector box/carb mount. No pyramid or channels in the carb mount/manifold., no chimney from the exhaust header to the tubes, no pre-heat at the air cleaner from the muffler, nothing at all.
Maybe the set-up was originally used in South America (like the KADS)?

Donno . . .

TC
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.