Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone want to buy a Bumblebee in cog nito?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
The seller sent me and Dave Pateman the VIN...its within the LE VIN range...and check out the microspot of yellow peeking through the rear valence. What a christmas present this could be... cool.gif

Utah Bumblebee
gregrobbins
This car was on eBay once before as I recall. Could be a Bumble Bee, but seller isn't offering it as such. Someone has changed out the wheels (the Fuchs are lighter and more appealing to some) and the 914 2.0 script has been changed. The LEs script was the black plastic numbers on the tail. Seller says there is some rust on the front spoiler, but the LE front spoilers were fiberglass.

If the car is a LE, pretty good value.
skline
I doubt it is an LE, but no matter what, it is still a good restorable 2.0 liter fully S optioned 914. I hope someone from the club picks it up.
Gint
Maybe Eric could have a look at it. If the auction lasted 4-5 hours longer I could look it it on Sunday.
ChrisReale
wrong tach. Notice it has a silver center?
Part Pricer
What else is being hidden?

A black car with a can of black spray paint nearby, and evidence that something has recently been painted. This guy's garage should be surrounded with "Crime Scene" tape.

ohmy.gif
davep
Whatever, I'm certain it is an LE. It can be restored to proper condition. So it has had some mods done, what of it. It is not like none of you have done some mods to your car also. At the right price any car is a good deal. Is a can of spray paint an ungodly sin or something?
Part Pricer
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 26 2004, 09:25 AM)
Is a can of spray paint an ungodly sin or something?

It is when it is in front of a car for sale. It would make me question what is being hidden and not disclosed. That is my concern.
balljoint
I like it. What do you guys think it will sell for? $3500 now.

I wouldn't mind having a vehicle to drive short term and then have some extra uniqueness (if that's a word) when I restore it later on.

The seller states that the paint is in bad shape, hopefully he is just touching up for sale. Unfortunately these cars have a reputation for being prettied up and sold to the next unsuspecting Dope in line.
vortrex
the car looks like a mess. it's something you'll spend $3500 on, drop another $15k into it, and end up with a nice $7500 car after a couple years of headaches. all for an LE??
Part Pricer
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 26 2004, 09:25 AM)
Whatever, I'm certain it is an LE.

What makes you so positive?

Is it the VIN? There are 2,224 numbers within the range for LE cars as identified on Jeff's site. If there were 1,000 LEs made, that means that, by the percentages, this car has a higher chance of NOT being an LE than actually being one.

Is there some other information regarding this vehicle that has been uncovered that has not been shared?

mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif
davep
Well, several things. I've studied these cars for 15 years or more now. First, yes the range is wide. However, there are very few cars in that range that are not LE's and found in NA. It was only three years ago I found the first one, and it happened to be local. So to start it has a 90% chance of being an LE in that range in NA. Next, there is no sail panel vinyl, it has the correct spoiler, it has sway bars, it has conslole; in short it has all the parts that an LE has except for the rims. It is black, and has that tiny hint of yellow on the rear valence. The roll bar trim is black not chrome; ever see black trim on a non-LE? All of this is easy to see by looking at the pictures, there are no secrets. Perhaps I just know what to look for.
So he is touching it up for sale purposes, I wouldn't buy the car without a personal inspection anyway. What is a spray can compared to a missing hell hole?
skline
I still think that without a COA, the car is just a 914. I guess someone could easily buy that car, paint the lower trim and bumpers and wheels and then maybe have another 3k into it and turn it around and sell it as an LE and make another 3 or 4k? Hmm, that sounds interesting. The front trim on the car is not black and he has a can of paint sitting there, he probably painted the trim himself, ( I have done that) and the yellow spot could be just wishful thinking. Jeff at one time thought my car could be an LE by the VIN number. Turns out is is not. It's still a 914 and going to be exactly what I wanted. So in my opinion, without a COA, this car is only a nice restorable black on black 914 with all the options. If it turns out later tha it is an LE, that would be a bonus. All I am saying, is dont buy it thinking that it is an LE, that way there will be no dissapointment later.
vortrex
with $6500 into that car you think you can sell it for $9-$10k?? even with a lot of armor all and one slick ebay ad I don't think you can scam someone that bad.
skline
Well, apparently, there are 2 experts here who say it is an LE, so if you get the car for 3500, spend 3k on a nice paint and body job, shoot the bumpers, lower trim and wheels in yellow, its an LE and worth 10 to 12k. Whats the problem?
vortrex
well I guess you could get the exterior body work and paint done at macco for $3k, or mexico..

what about the more than likely structural rust? the poor interior? etc etc.

I have somewhat of a conscious and can't sell junk to unknowing people.

sometimes I look back to my '73 2.0 I sawzall'd and think of all the money I could have got for it!
davep
QUOTE(skline @ Nov 26 2004, 08:46 AM)
All I am saying, is dont buy it thinking that it is an LE, that way there will be no dissapointment later.

I agree with that thought. Without the COA there is no proof. In any event, condition is everything to the value. The LE factor is small, perhaps 10%. Doing a bumblebee properly is costly. There is the black paint that requires a nearly perfect body job; that is why black paint was an extra cost option to begin with. The spoiler, negative stripe, and black anodized roll bar trim are special parts. Not sure if there are part numbers for the black anodized parts, and there wasn't any for the stripes.

Expert, I don't know, other people have to assign that moniker. Ex-squirt? Yep that's me.
JohnM
What is the paint code on a LE?
davep
L041 black
L80E light ivory

no different than any other black or ivory car
J P Stein
Where is cog nito?
If I go there will I need a disguise?
Is this where Miles lives?
Carl
microspot of yellow

CSI:Sandy
gregrobbins
Dave, you said it has the correct front spoiler. Yet in the eBay add the seller says there is rust on the front spoiler. Aren't all LE front spoilers made of fiberglass?
davep
Yes the spoilers are fiberglass, even aftermarket ones. How it would have rust I don't know. Perhaps a rust stain from something near it. Have you ever seen a 914 without any rust anywhere? biggrin.gif

This fellow knows it is an LE now, and is planning on stopping the auction and relisting it. He hopes to get about $5000. Good for him if he can get it.

Yes JP, you will need a disguise. happy11.gif
type47fan
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 26 2004, 10:38 AM)
Where is cog nito?

laugh.gif
gregrobbins
This fellow knows it is an LE now, and is planning on stopping the auction and relisting it. He hopes to get about $5000. Good for him if he can get it.

Someone needs to get a good look at the car. Seller mentions some rust in areas, but does he know how to check the hell holes and longs? I am also thinking he should be encouraged to invest $110 in getting a COA since he is upping his price.

If you are thinking of purchasing this car because it is a Limited Edition, make sure to check it over. Go to Jeff's web site on the LE and get informed.
Jeff Bowlsby's fine site on the LEs.

I tend to agree with Dave it is probably an LE, but if I were a buyer there are a bunch of questions I would be asking to make sure.
Hawktel
Its just down the road from me. If someone wants it, I'll check it out for them. Or Eric Shea also lives very close to that.
Part Pricer
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 26 2004, 04:19 PM)

How does he know? Did he get a COA on the car over Thanksgiving?

He doesn't get a single bid on the car with a starting bid of $3,500. Now, he's going to raise the starting bid because it's suspected to be a Limited Edition.

I gotta start buying black or white 74s. unsure.gif wacko.gif
JeffBowlsby
I gotta start buying black or white 74s

Ah, but only Black/white 74 within a certain VIN range and then only with light grey headlight relay covers. biggrin.gif

How does he know?

He doesnt know, he is only guessing.

Consider this: Several years ago you buy this black 914, you dont know much about it and neither does the seller...its before the internet took off. . Rock chips on the lower valences reveal yellow underneath. The targa bar sails are painted and the rear targa trim is black...it came that way from the PO you bought it from. You come to find out that the LE cars fall within a range of only a couple thousand VINS...and your car is within that VIN range and has most of the known LE car details. You won't know for sure, but its a pretty good guess that it is authentic. The seller would do well to keep the car for a couple months and obtain the COA. Then he can pass go and collect a few more Bens...

I should have bought this car 2 weeks ago in the previous auction...which got no bidders BTW.

There are many LE cars that have been painted over because the owners didnt like the loud colors...there are several with photos on the 914LE Registry even.

This car could be restored to original condition and regain its collector value. Other 914 LE cars have been so dramatically modified it would not make sense to convert them back. Even heavily modifoed they are still and will always be 914 LE cars, but there collector value is not important at that point.
Gustl
seems that this guy looks for a second chance: Utah Bumblebee

he's better prepared now laugh.gif
larryp
I gotta start buying black or white 74s.  

Paul, you are such a cynic.
SLITS
All this freakin' fuss over a paint job? It's still a damn 914 and you can make it rare if you want to - all they did was paint one funny - head on - spend three times as much as it is worth.

Sorry Jeff - I just don't get it.................. rolleyes.gif
Joe Bob
SLITS...it's an LE thing...so YOU wouldn't get it....

In the microcosm of the 914 world...there are things that set us apart....

Everyone looks down on the 1.7s and 1.8s....with the 2.0 guys being the worst, the conversion guys look down on the 2.0s....the LE guys think they are "limited" wacko.gif

Then there is the SCCA....they HATE everything 914....
Gustl
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 29 2004, 05:47 PM)
Then there is the SCCA....they HATE everything 914....

I drive my teener because I like it IPB Image

it means nothing to me if anybody else hates it IPB Image

Gustl
Rhodes71/914
He didn't get any bids when it was listed for less. Now he thinks it is an LE and wants more.
SLITS
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 29 2004, 09:47 AM)
SLITS...it's an LE thing...so YOU wouldn't get it....

Ahhhhhh Mikey, you have such a delightful way of telling me I am a "Weene without a cause" wub.gif biggrin.gif

Oh BTW, you black powder and ball weapon missed me as I crossed the border biggrin.gif
Part Pricer
QUOTE(larryp @ Nov 29 2004, 11:27 AM)
I gotta start buying black or white 74s.  

Paul, you are such a cynic.

If these cars (LEs) are rare and valuable, we should be questioning their authenticity and provenance versus anointing it because it loosely fits some inconclusive criteria.

I think Z nailed it here. Because we will never be provided an irrefutable foundation to validate authenticity, these cars will only be considered truly rare when all 914s are truly rare.

And, don't get me started about COAs. I've seen too many COAs modified "by request".

But, please drive up the prices for these cars. It will justify my cloning operation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.